Forum

Author Topic: Let's Talk Shop - Anyone using this with images from Google Street View?  (Read 1193 times)

jenkinsm

• View Profile
Hi all,

I'm doing some experimentation with the pro version demo and I was curious if anyone has done something similar? Would be great to learn what works and doesn't from someone more experienced.

I'm testing out a process for making tracks for a driving simulator (Assetto Corsa) using a combination of Google Street View 360 panoramas and aerial shots exported from Google Earth Studio.

The best street view images are 133MP so there's a lot of data to work with, but the downside is that the photos are captured kinda far apart, so I am using the aerial images to sorta "fill in the gaps" and also to capture the surrounding area that is not viewable from the road.

It's actually working very well, and I'm starting to tinker with different texture settings so I have as much detail on the road as possible.

One thing I'm struggling with that I'd love advice on:

When a photo doesn't align automatically, I can't seem to do anything to force it to align. Sometimes a whole group of photos won't align, even though it seems like they should, and I don't know what to do with them at that point.

All of the images have GPS coordinates and altitude in the EXIF. The street view panos also have yaw data. I set the coordinates to match Google Earth (WGS 84 + EGM96 height), and everything shows up on the map in the exact right location, so can I use this to help guide the software to align certain photos? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for your help!