Forum

Author Topic: glazing where interior wanted, rain & lens spots, will my mask ideas work ?  (Read 1132 times)

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi,
My project is an agricultural tractor with a glazed cab (cab has front and sides only) circa 1970's.
Paintwork is aged and not glossy.

GLAZING.
Shots of glazed cab interior all taken from outside cab, impossible unless fisheye lens to do sat inside interior. Doors were shut. camera access from rear to some extent.

Cab interior has in photos taken through side and front of cab , parts of it spoilt with reflections of items elsewhere in the yard, HOWEVER there are areas perfectly okay where its as if the glazing was not present, these would surely be useful if they also occur in a few more shots. The exterior having the 60% overlap to tie the photos together and these also would have such.

So could the spoilt parts be masked off in the photos, each photo would have to be masked by hand ?

There are shots where the entire glazing is with reflections or just featureless and these must be masked off. Mask from model I foresee not being of use as the model with all this glass wont even get made to be sourced from !  I have asked of this catch22 a few times without answer. If such happens is it the awful task of hand masking 102 images ? That gets the model made for sure, and it would have no glazing just framework as a result.
However that would also nuke the interior, the parts without the reflections. Even if portions get modelled as I would expect, I can use those to remodel using curves and surfaces the interior, as is the intention anyway for the entire tractor, in my CAD prog Rhino3D.

How is this situation dealt with ?

SPOTS.
Also if some photos have those coloured spots from sun getting in on the act , despite a lens hood,   and we can see the structure/surface through the translucent ones, can the affected areas/spots and ellipses, be masked out and that photo still be ok ? Is Agisoft going to fail when seeing those if they occur on the object in the photo ?

What if you almost finish the photos and it starts raining and the item has some rain spots on it, can those be masked out on the photos to enable the set to be used. I hear you say redo when it stops raining, well what if it carried on and on and going back again is not possible. ?

GLOSS PAINT.
REAL LIFE PROBLEM. no we cant go throwing talcum powder over someones exhibit.  Often owners and museums have restored their vehicles, tractors, and other industrial equipment and gloss paint is usually used. In dull museums I have to use flash, sometimes it is the only means of even getting a photo, I pull the white sheet out from the flash head and let the light bounce off that as an aid to using existing light which on its own is too dull, and 800asa upwards adds noise which is also to be avoided ! Low ceilings if white are useful to bounce the main flash off. However the gloss , on what was a rusty item and now painted, sparkles a bit on the uneven surface.

Also a glossy old tractor wheel at an out of doors sun lit day, same areas of sparkle, Photoshop raw mode highlight slider set to 0 can help, but doesnt totally remove it, the details are burnt out at times so not there to bring back.

Can areas afflicted with such be masked out in each photo ?

I am not seeing anyone with 'real world' problems as these showing how to deal with them.

Steve