Forum

Author Topic: Predefined ortho views are opposite to logic and expectation except Top  (Read 1259 times)

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi, I have align photo's my agricultural tractor.
hit numpad 5 for ortho, then numpad 7 for top, rotate model until its aligned to the grid and I am looking down onto its top.
hit numpad 1 for front and rotate model (though the ball has its red/green/blue lines not aligned to ortho (how do we reset that ball ?) until the tractors front grille with headlights is facing me on screen.
Hit ctrl numpad3  (it can be normal numbers on keybd also) for Left view of tractor and I am seeing its right hand side. Is there a way of making Left be right side of a vehicle ?
I see Rhino3D also does this and that its an international agreed thing but I wish whoever invented this had it more logical.
I rotate it to see its left and now 1 for front shows its rear end. Just get used to 1 is rear and left is right etc.

I also wish there was a grid other than just in 7, for aligning to.

Steve
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 10:13:50 PM by Steve003 »

CheeseAndJamSandwich

• View Profile
    • Sketchfab Models
Re: Predefined ortho views are opposite to logic and expectation except Top
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 03:24:05 PM »
The ball is dictated by the region.
It took me ages to work this out myself, lol!
And they also dictate where the centre of rotation and height of the model is if you tell it to do the default horizontal orbit animation too!!!  It look me ages to work this out too!

Rotate the model to the correct orientation, move it's z so that it's roughly sitting on the grid, z=0, then rotate and move the region to match the model... the ball will be in the very centre of the region.  The ball's axis, rings will then mover it correctly.

The other thing that's weird as, is that if there's things off to the sides, away from the model itself, like animation cameras and tracks, it completely screws up Default View, pressing 0...  It's related to the extents of all the data and objects within the project i think...  Not the extents of the points, mesh, etc...  Even then, it doesn't zoom out to show the extents... it just zooms to an illogical view...  Confusing af.

You are correct it seems.....
I just checked with one of my models, a sunken pontoon, in top view, 7, i rotate it until the front of the pontoon is at the bottom of the screen...  then when i press ctrl 1, the front, the bow, is presented correctly, and if i press 3, it shows me the left hand side, port side, of the pontoon!  ctrl 3 shows me the right hand side, the starboard side!  1 correctly shows the back, the stern... 
This is indeed the wrong way to what should be logical...   :o
Right = Left, and Left = Right...  Doh!
I guess we just ignore what it says it is, and just know that 3 is left, and ctrl 3 is right!!!  ;D