Forum

Author Topic: How can I combine two Metashape models of different parts of the same item ?  (Read 3491 times)

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi, I have a model of the inside area of a trolley and another of the outside area of the same part of the trolley, they will see some common features. the textured floor being one of them. Another model will be a hook at the rear, again same area.
If I had modelled each part in the same project as chunk 1,2 and 3 then I could go combine chunks.
Am I right in thinking if each chunk has already been modelled using depth maps and has texture, the combine chunks will bring the models together, or will it require mesh making all over again ?

However as such they are two projects (separate .psz files)  and I cant see a way of importing the model then combining it with the existing one.

I import the model but no chunks come in.

How do I combine the models ?

Steve

James

• View Profile
you can import chunks from another project using the file->append function

Steve003

• View Profile
Many thanks.

Not the most obvious of words,   ::) maybe import chunks would be better !

Steve

CheeseAndJamSandwich

• View Profile
    • Sketchfab Models
In this case, it's exactly the correct word.

ap·pend
/əˈpend/

verb
add (something) as an attachment or supplement.
"the results of the survey are appended to this chapter"

And you see it a fair bit in other types of software, where you want to join something.  Like video files, etc.

'Import' chunk would just be bringing a chunk in that's currently of a non native format...  from 'outside'...  And it'd be just opened...  You specifically want to add something to something you have open already... so you 'append'.  The import would close the open file and import the non-native chunk.

So...

Can we please get some tooltips added? Not just in every dialog box and preferences pane, but if possible to the menu items?
Then if we hovered our mouse over the File - Append... menu item, it'd pop up with a tooltip saying:
Append...
Appends existing Metashape
project file to the current one.
Useful for merging chunks,
or just combining cameras, etc.

I added the examples...

There are so many features in Metashape... And it's not obvious what they all do.  Especially if English isn't your native language.

Steve003

• View Profile
I second that.
also add it to the manual if its not already there.
You might need to put that into feature request as it may not get seen here.

Steve