Forum

Author Topic: Export model as .obj has user input precision number but what to choose and why  (Read 2567 times)

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi,
Metashape 1.7.4
File export model as obj name it, then up pops a panel with all sorts of settings, one is Precision and it shows 6 but no indication of what range there is and what the numbers mean,
There is nothing on this explained in the pdf manual either.
 is 1 bad, or good, is it about decimating the mesh again or what ? Does it affect the quality of the image ?
At the moment shaded view is giving a more uniform image than textured which sees some areas go very blurred.
One can wreck all the work so far unless the settings in this box are understood and explained.

Steve

Bzuco

• View Profile
It is precision of vertex position(num of decimal places).
Value 6 - eg. 12.451205 meters.
Value 3 should be enough (milimeters precision), but you can keep it at 6.

Steve003

• View Profile
Thanks, I altered it to 20, it never said limit of 10 reached or anything, so is 6 the tops limit or average or is it dependent on size of object as 6 decimal places in metres can be overkill for a building or crude for a beetle.

I wonder what the quality setting is for the jpg offered there if the model features a jpg texture, there is no choice and I dont like anything other than deciding myself and normally go for max quality.

Steve

Bzuco

• View Profile
Yes, 6 decimal places can be overkill, but for few thousands of vertices it does not matter.
The OBJ file is pure text file, so you can put "as many" decimal places as you want, because in text representation of number value you are not limited like in computer representation.
Each decimal place in OBJ cost you 3 bytes per one vertex, so more vertex - more bytes - more time needed to export/import.
Value 4-6 could be useful when taking photos of very large area and tiny object in one photo set(this will probably never happen).

JPG sould have 100% quality, but you can use PNG or TIFF if you want to be 100% sure about image quality.

CheeseAndJamSandwich

• View Profile
    • Sketchfab Models
File export model as obj name it, then up pops a panel with all sorts of settings, one is Precision and it shows 6 but no indication of what range there is and what the numbers mean,
Could we please get Tooltips added to MS's dialog boxes and preferences tabs?
They're very commonplace and very, very effective at giving the user a description of the feature, variable, setting, etc, and suggesting values, when to and not to enable something...
This would help so, so much. 
And it would ultimately reduce the number of forum posts!  :P 8)