Forum

Author Topic: New MacBook Pro with M1 Max chip  (Read 1967 times)

bgreenstone

• View Profile
New MacBook Pro with M1 Max chip
« on: October 18, 2021, 09:19:24 PM »
Well, I just ordered a new MacBook Pro totally loaded with the M1 Max chip.  64 gig RAM and 32 GPU cores.  I don't know if Metashape will support all 32 cores, but I sure hope it does because I suspect it'll speed up processing about 20x over my old Mac with just 2 GPU cores that I've been using.

-Brian

Hude

• View Profile
Re: New MacBook Pro with M1 Max chip
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 05:14:08 AM »
Me too ! Still wait  confirm from Agisoft

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 06:40:55 PM »
Hello Brian,

Metashape 1.8 (currently available as pre-release) supports installation on M1, so once the hardware arrives, you can try installing it and checking the processing performance (I'd recommend to use rather big dataset for testing, at least a couple of hundreds of images).
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

bgreenstone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 06:47:00 PM »
Will do!  I'm not exactly sure when it will arrive, but I was told it will ship on Monday.  My datas ets are usually around 80 photos, but I'll try something big to really push it.

Also, since I'll have 64GB of RAM / VRAM should I increase the default tile size from 2048 to something larger?  Or is it better to keep them smaller since I have 32 GPU cores?

-Brian

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 06:48:58 PM »
Hello Brian,

Do you mean the tiles size parameter in Build Tiled Model dialog? Larger tiles would mean that they will take longer time to load, but if it is fine for your needs, you can choose 2048 tiles, although I would suggest to stay on 256 or 512 blocks.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

bgreenstone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 06:56:23 PM »
Right now I have the BuildDepthMaps/pm_ooc_ref_tile_size tweak set to 512 because my old Mac Pro was freezing up with the default tile size.  My plan is to just remove that tweak with the new MacBook Pro and see what happens, but if there's any performance gain to making it larger I can try that too because I essentially have unlimited VRAM on this machine.

-Brian