Forum

Author Topic: metashape obj export fails to see texture seen upon import to other progs  (Read 1328 times)

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi,
having run command make texture, although a texture with blurred areas is the result, when importing this obj into photshop it comes in as shades of grey and not the textured version.

I then try https://www.viewport.xyz/ and again its a very pale grey with  brown areas. no texture at all, and when browsing I browse to the folder that has the obj an mtl and a jpg file in it formed from the export model command.

I show the decimated version as this viewer would not accept >35Mb, (the obj was 101Mb) I chose decimate model and got offered 2,617,884  when it said source face count 983,413 which in my maths is not 1/10th of source so I typed in 98,341 and now its very poor definition but now 9Mb. That aside there is no texture image.

What did I do wrong there by the way as the result is very crude now. and 9Mb versus 101Mb, all thanks to this prog demanding less than 35Mb.

I import the non decimated models obj into Rhino3D and it has the items colours BUT its showing the model shaded mode and not the textured, (but blurred bits) version, so again it hasnt latched onto the texture jpg.

I then try Autodesk viewer  https://viewer.autodesk.com and again it opens in greys despite the promising fact that it showed all 3 files !
I decided to export the  'shaded model' type coloured model as seen in metashape, from Rhino ticking add textures though it hadnt brought in metashape textures)  and it (Autodesk) even asks if there are more files to accompany the .obj

Even that has opened as greys, so the failure of Metashape to export .obj with a texture is then causing further problems throughout the process thereafter.

Surely that jpg needs to be embedded and fused into the obj, sitting outside of it in a folder seems to be the failure in all these !

do all progs generate .obj and make the jpg texture image sit outside of the .obj ? seems a recipe for disaster.

Where are these texture images going when opening the metashape created obj  into viewers and other CAD progs ?

and what did I do wrong when decimating the faces count using my own maths ?

Steve

« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 06:55:19 PM by Steve003 »