Forum

Author Topic: Give a scale to a model in metashape standard..how ?  (Read 2146 times)

Steve003

• View Profile
Give a scale to a model in metashape standard..how ?
« on: October 19, 2021, 11:37:17 PM »
Hi,
I export my texture model as an obj, I get three files obj mtl and jpg, I browse to the obj and open into Rhino3D, it doesnt apply the texture.
I open the obj into online Autodesk viewer, it doesnt see the jpg.
I export this time as fbx tick texture twice , export texture and embed texture options, easy to forget the second assuming the first is the texture dealt with !   

I open this in Autodesk and I see texture, though image is dark. There has to be better than this surely ?

It has a measuring tool, it says no dimension, it hasnt a scale.  I see no way of selecting two parts in model in metashape and entering a distance.

How can I give scale to this so the measure tool works in Autodesk ?

Does anyone know of a 3D viewer that has proper ortho views, can measure and opens a fbx bright and clear.

After all my hard work I cant get anyone to view the end result from metashape and in ortho as well as perspective and measure on it as I need them to.

I decide to open the fbx into Rhino where I can scale it 1:1, it errors on the metashape fbx !

why does nothing work, all avenues barred.
Unable to scale it anywhere for that dark dingy Autodesk 'non ortho' ortho viewer.
What avenue could I try that wins ?
Steve
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 11:40:21 PM by Steve003 »

Kiesel

• View Profile
Re: Give a scale to a model in metashape standard..how ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 08:57:59 AM »
Hallo Steve,

long time ago when I only own the standard version I have done it in Meshlab (can be done in CloudCompare too). You might have a look here:
https://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=907.msg4302#msg4302

Kiesel

Steve003

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 04:59:43 PM »
Hi,
So one has to enter a scale by measuring a known distance and enter the scale, thats ok.

I see a blender tutorial where the only option is length of an edge.
For Meshlab the tutorials are all by one guy who I cant understand his language. Mister.P

I will struggle to learn meshlab if he is the only tutor out there. normally a prog has various so I am surprised meshlab is all him, well almost all,  and you find someone you understand at a sensible pace without a load of waffle. and stay with it.

I have a dimension on my part between two vertical thin sheets, I need to click the places I measured between , I didnt measure an edge.
On another I measured across a wheel hub, so no edge, an on another from outside edge left mudguard to outside edge right mudguard, no edges that suited and I wasnt aware of edge only measuring when on site !

Can I just click two places and enter a dimension to suit these that I have ?

I have downloaded meshlab 2021.07 from www.lo4d.com as they test for adware and viruses etc.

I will only dl from them and not sourceforge which is bug ridden, so the warnings say. and other sites I will avoid.

Steve

zajac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 07:16:17 PM »
To rescale (and edit), I use Meshmixer. The Analysis > Units/Dimensions tool seems to set the units without editing the model (as opposed to the Edit > Transform tool), allowing roundtripping back into Metashape. It lets you set the overall extent along X, Y, or Z axis, or click-drag to select two surface points and set the length. There are some other tools under Analysis > Measure that may be helpful to determine your scaling factor.

I am also perplexed by the bright/dull appearance of the diffuse texture in different apps. Will have to tackle that one a bit later.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 07:20:39 PM by zajac »