Forum

Author Topic: What way to save texture each time from different settings tried ?  (Read 1824 times)

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi,
metashape 1.7.4
experimenting with different 'make texture' settings to see if I can overcome the blurred areas on the default settings offered.
having made one on the defaults offered, I dont see it as an item showing in the chunks set at left, so how can I get hold of the result and have Metashape use it or another one and compare them ?

How could I bring into Metashape just the texture from Photoscan as Photoscan doesnt have the blurred texture problem. (my gut feeling is it wouldnt work as the model wouldnt be exactly the same, so taking the model into photoscan then making texture is the better workflow)

Any recommendations on what are best texture making settings ?
Photoscan 1.2.6 has:-
Mapping Mode: Generic, Orthophoto, Adaptive orthophoto, Single camera, Keep UV
Blending Mode: Mosaic (default), Average, Max Intensity, Min Intensity, Disabled
Texture Size/count 4096 x 1 are default figures both editable.
Advanced: tickbox Enable Color Correction and tickbox Enable Hole Filling

Metashape 1.7.4 has:-
Texture Type: Diffuse Map, Occlusion Map
Source Data: Images, 3D Model (4,7...High quality)
Mapping mode: Generic, Orthophoto, Adaptive orthophoto, Single camera, keep UV
Blending mode: Mosaic (default), Average, max intensity, Min intensity, Disabled
Texture size/count: 4096 x 1 are default figures both editable
Advanced: tickbox Enable hole filling, and tickbox Enable ghosting filter

Now it is clear that extra options exist, also any schoolroom lesson on combinations will have you realise there are many permutations on these to make for a full set tried out, (unless some grey out when others are chosen).

Has anyone any suggestions on what to pick in metashape to get a texture from multiple images single chunk project (object not moved) that hasnt any blurred areas (images have no blurred areas).

With no means of saving the texture trying out all these permutations in metashape will be a struggle.

refering to the options in the order stated above, where bold in that list are those chosen,
In metashape I have used settings that first appear, assuming they are best, Diffuse Map, Images, generic, Mosaic,4096 x 1, Hole fill untick, enable ghost filter ticked. and ended up with blurred areas.

In photoscan Generic, Average, 4096 x 1, Colour Correction untick, hole filling ticked.
and no blurs resulted.

Any chosen raise alarm bells with anyone ?

If I can solve this, as not heard from Tech support yet after 2 weeks and I need to get the job done,  it just leaves the failure to align images (where photoscan doesnt fail) to be solved, then the superior mesh making of Metashape can be used, and Photoscan finally put to rest.

Cheers

Steve

James

• View Profile
Re: What way to save texture each time from different settings tried ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 06:34:19 PM »
Have you looked at the UV maps?

Tools -> Mesh -> View mesh UVs

In there you can select 'scaling' to see which parts of the mesh are making what use of the UV space. Some parts may not have been mapped as efficiently as others which may be why they appear blurred, because they are lower resolution. The solution to that would be to build the texture at a higher resolution, or use a different UV mapping - either selecting the different options in Build Texture, or doing it in 3rd party software. Which of the options you choose in Metashape depends on the nature of your object: Most generic objects will be be best mapped with generic mapping. Orthophoto is best for very flat, planar objects, and adaptive orthophoto is best for objects comprised of multiple planar surfaces.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 06:45:34 PM »
Actually I just looked and metashape also has a 'resolution' option in the "view mesh uvs" window, which is more reliable than scaling.

I'm looking at the unstable 1.8 version so this might not be in your version.

I haven't looked here for ages as I very rarely have to do model texturing, and when I do it's even more rare that it needs to look particularly good.

Steve003

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 04:55:32 PM »
Hi,
As photoscan makes a perfect job on the same images, both in aligning and in texture making,  it is metashape at fault.
No need to try and alter anything as with no meddling Photoscan does the job. So there is nothing to fix.

Agisoft need to look back at Photoscan 1.2 6, see why it works and bring that part of the engine into metashape !

I have sent them my projects in meta and photoscan so they can solve this issue , but not heard back after 3 weeks.

I am also finding that metashape wont align all images, sometimes even images that were aligned in a different chunk same project, very nice images.

Photoscan aligns all images, but is HORRENDOUSLY SLOW AT DOING A PROJECT. I have never had total workflow success yet from meta. In photoscan it was just slow, in meta things failed. I am not convinced on meta being better yet, I keep having to use Photoscan to solve meta problems, but love meta's mesh from depth map and speed.

and I have just read in a different part of the forum , bug reports

https://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=13701.0

Its a bug in 1.7.4

so the sooner they solve this the better.

Steve