Forum

Author Topic: exporting model to CAD  (Read 11805 times)

gheflorian

• View Profile
exporting model to CAD
« on: July 16, 2013, 09:08:06 AM »
Hello,

I am trying to export model into AutoCAD via 3ds but it seems that only a small portion of the project is imported.
Does anyone knows a better way to export the model?
I am very interested to know how to export the model along with the high texture created in Photoscan and import into a software in order to do a record video with the camera flying over the terrain. I can do that In Polyworks by importing the model as ply but the texture doesn't seem to be at a high resolution as in Photoscan.

Thank you!

chrisd

• View Profile
Re: exporting model to CAD
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 04:54:12 AM »
3ds format is limited to about 65,000 triangles per object. Some 3ds exporters in other apps are able to split an object larger object than 65,000 tris into multiple objects. I don't know how Photoscan handles this.

If you are using vertex color in the PLY file, your "texture" is dependent on the point density. In other words, you would not have have a separate texture map, and your "texture" is actually created by the color of the vertices in your model.

I am new to Photoscan, but I think there must be a way to save the model with a separate texture map. 

David Cockey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:29:56 PM »
I export from Photoscan to Rhino3d using OBJ files. I've successfully exported meshes with over 5 million quad faces. Proceedure is:
1) Build geometry
2) Texture
3) Export chunk as .obj

gheflorian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:47:16 AM »
I export from Photoscan to Rhino3d using OBJ files. I've successfully exported meshes with over 5 million quad faces. Proceedure is:
1) Build geometry
2) Texture
3) Export chunk as .obj

Thank you! I have manage to do this just like in any other 3d software like CloudCompare, MeshLab, Polyworks and Rhino but I am not able to see the texture.

I was able to load the project with texture at 4096x4096.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:31:40 AM by gheflorian »

David Cockey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:43:56 PM »
As discussed in another thread several days ago http://www.agisoft.ru/forum/index.php?topic=1454.0

For the texture on an .obj mesh imported from PhotoScan to be seen in Rhino you may also need to edit the .obj file and .mtl file.

-  In the .mtl file edit the first line "newmtl Textured" Replace "Textured" with a unique name not used by any other texture in Rhino.

-  In the .obj file edit the second line "usemtl Textured"  Replace "Textured" with the same name used in the .mtl file

Agisoft is going to try to change PhotoScan so the file name is used instead of "Textured" which should eliminate the problem.  http://www.agisoft.ru/forum/index.php?topic=1380.0

gheflorian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:08:20 AM »
Thank you for clearing this out but I was talking about one single obj file where importing is fine. As I stated before the loading of a 10.000 x 10.000 texture is loaded without any problem but if importing a larger one it won't work. But I'm not sure this is a Photoscan issue.
managed to import it at 20K as well. I put the obj in a separate folder and every file with the name 20K and everything is flawless.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:39:12 PM by gheflorian »