Forum

Author Topic: 1.8.0 produces softer meshes. Why?!  (Read 1908 times)

3D_Scan_Fan

• View Profile
1.8.0 produces softer meshes. Why?!
« on: November 23, 2021, 08:04:20 PM »
Hello everyone!

Maybe like some of you I am trying the preview release of Metashape, version 1.8.0. and wanted to show you the mesh results here compared to 1.6.4.

Reason why 1.6.4 because everything afterwards either has problems crashing and mesh generations has strange artifacts which makes no sense (particularly 1.7.3!).

Generating meshes in 1.8.0 are pretty good, it no longer produces those weird artifacts, however the results of the meshes tend to look soft (even when doing everything at the highest quality).

The details are still there but a little soft, but not as soft processing at half the resolution.

Despite this, it does really well in the more occluded areas, particularly behind the ears:

As you can see it was resolved the ear backs really well, no holes, no mesh interpolation, thus it's a lot more accurate.

Also to note it's faster, approx 40 mins on 1.8. compared to 1 hour on 1.6.4. Yet I can't comment if the speed has changed over the previous versions.
Nor can I make a solid statement if it being faster is because it's not producing higher quality meshes.

Regardless I feel this is once again another step-down from anything beforehand. Is there any reason as to why this is happening???  :(
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 08:06:20 PM by 3D_Scan_Fan »

wojtek

• View Profile
Re: 1.8.0 produces softer meshes. Why?!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 12:42:17 PM »
Hmm, in that particular example the extra 'sharpness' is mostly excess noise in my opinion.

Look at the nose, which result is closer to what your actual nose looks like??

3D_Scan_Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 04:02:14 PM »
It's definitely not noise and why it's only 1.8.0 that does this.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 04:29:29 PM »
Hello 3D_Scan_Fan,

Which 1.8.0 build have you used? And whether the sample dataset for the results comparison can be shared to suppport@agisoft.com?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

3D_Scan_Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 05:41:47 PM »
The latest build.

I can't share this dataset but I've tried this with others and they're all the same, soft meshes.