Forum

Author Topic: Still experiencing random system freezes on Mac  (Read 1796 times)

bgreenstone

• View Profile
Still experiencing random system freezes on Mac
« on: November 22, 2021, 09:40:20 PM »
A while back I reported a problem I was having on my old 2013 Mac Pro where Metashape would cause my entire Mac to completely freeze and I had to do a force reboot.  This would happen about 60% of the time it would do a depth map generation pass.  I was told that it was probably because of the low VRAM on that machine, so I should try reducing the tile size to 512 with a parameter tweak and see what happened.  That reduced the system freezing to about 5% which was a much more tolerable occurrence.

Now, on my new MacBook Pro with 64Gigs of RAM/VRAM I still get the occasional system freezes during Depth Map generation.  I'm back to using the default 2048 tile size, but it still happens around 1 in 40 times, so rare, but still every week.

This is with Metashape 1.7.3.  I can't use the later versions because 1.7.3 is the last version that builds meshes from Depth Maps properly.

-Brian

bgreenstone

• View Profile
Re: Still experiencing random system freezes on Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 12:28:33 AM »
One observation is that if I'm using a GPU / VRAM intensive program in the background while Metashape is building the depth maps (like Blender) it seems to increase the failure rate to about 1 in 3.  In other words:  quite often.  It completely freezes the MacBook Pro when this happens.

bgreenstone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 12:04:54 AM »
Now that I've had more time with this I've concluded that the freezing is actually quite common, especially on any Chunk with more than 60 photos in it.  I'm really disappointed that this is still happening on my brand new Mac.  I figured it was happening before because I was running a 2013 Mac Pro with almost no VRAM or RAM.  With this new MacBook Pro with 64 gigs of RAM I had hoped this would stop happening.  Very, very frustrating. 

-Brian

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 01:01:08 PM »
Hello Brian,

Can you check the latest 1.8.0 pre-release version, if it gives you the expected mesh quality for the depth maps based reconstruction and if the "freezes" are still observed in the new version?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC