Forum

Author Topic: How to limit the Computer resources when using Metashape  (Read 1738 times)

kendoll30

• View Profile
How to limit the Computer resources when using Metashape
« on: December 08, 2021, 02:32:53 PM »
Hi guys,

How do I limit the CPU and GPU usage to lets say 30% when running reconstructions in Metashape? Right now the tool takes as much as it finds, eats all the CPU and GPU and Memory.
I want to limit that to a certain value, it doesn't matter how long it will take to finish the task but I want to have the computer responsive to do other tasks in parallel.
I am also afraid if I keep the current values (default) it will fry my computer hardware so I want to be safer. I am not in a hurry anyway, if you know what I mean.

Bzuco

• View Profile
Re: How to limit the Computer resources when using Metashape
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 02:50:02 PM »
I do not know how to limit RAM and GPU for some application.
But for CPU you can check this https://mion.yosei.fi/BES/  . I was using it for application which was constantly using one core in idle state (it was bad programmed).
I would also advise instead of limit CPU percentually use lowest process priority in task manager, which will automatically free CPU for other tasks with default priority.

For better temperature undervolting CPU and GPU is best solution for desktop, notebook, ...

Limit RAM for some application is not good idea, because then operating system starts using swap file on disk, which is terrible slow and if it is on SSD, then the swapping process decreases SSD life.

kendoll30

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 11:10:40 PM »
For example my computer just reboots when performing allignments or general tasks. I don't even feed it a lot of pictures...
I have Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz   with 32 GB ram and Video card GeForce RTX 2070 Super. This configuration should work without problems but I am scared to use the software anymore because I am afraid it will fry something.
It never happened with any other application ...

Bzuco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 12:25:04 AM »
Is your power supply still in good condition?
You can test your memory modules for errors with some mem test utility and also check windows event viewer...some useful info could be there like error reports.
Temps are ok? No blue screen, just simple PC restart? Nvidia driver updated or some old version?