Forum

Author Topic: Need Assistance for Agisoft Processing Hardware  (Read 1384 times)

darkl1ght

• View Profile
Need Assistance for Agisoft Processing Hardware
« on: December 29, 2021, 12:59:45 PM »
I need to assemble CPU parts for building a desktop PC to process Agisoft Images.

System Requirements (https://www.agisoft.com/downloads/system-requirements/)

In the above page, it says for Advanced Configuration I need:

up to 128 GB RAM

CPU: 6 - 24 core Intel or AMD processor, 3.0+ GHz

RAM: 32 - 128 GB

GPU: 1 - 2 NVIDIA or AMD GPUs with 1920+ CUDA cores / shader processor units
(For example: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti or Radeon VII)

I need to process several datasets with an image count ranging from 100 to 4000 (5000 sometimes).

For the same, I was thinking 128 GB RAM and a CPU with 24+ or 32 cores (Intel or AMD anything is fine) processor.

But which company RAM and model of CPU will be suitable (and compatible)?

I am not sure about GPU either.

Also, I am not sure which Motherboard will be compatible with all these so that there are no performance and bottleneck issues.

Please guide me with any information that you can that can help me purchase these items.

Bzuco

• View Profile
Re: Need Assistance for Agisoft Processing Hardware
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 08:21:51 PM »
You can grab amd ryzen threadripper 24 core 3960x or 32 core 3970x or wait cca. 4 months for new generation of threadrippers, which are based on ZEN 3 architecture(more performance and higher power efficiency then 3960x/3970x). Cheaper aleternative is 16 core AMD Ryzen 9 5950X(ZEN 3 architecture, much better performance/price than 24/32 core threadrippers).
Supported memory modules you can check on motherboard manufacturers sites in support section(supported memory list with exact model number). It does not mean, that other memory from other companies will not work.
For threadrippers 8x16GB or 8x8GB memory kits with 3200MHz speed and CL16 latency are good enough. For Ryzen 9 5950X 4x32GB/4x16GB 3200MHz CL16.

GPU from nvidia, anything from Geforce RTX 3xxx series which has higher single precision processing power, check this table and column single precision...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_30_series
Second alternative something from previous generation Geforce RTX 2xxx...same scenario, check the table above from that link and same column, higher number = more performance. GPU design: 3 cooler design and bigger heatsink => lower temperatures => slightly more performance.

Motherboard: manufacturer is not so important(but grab from ASUS, MSI, OR GIGABYTE at price 200€/$+ with chipset X570 for 5950x, or TRX40 for 3960x/3970x), what is important is number of power stages(power cascades) and type,  e.g. 12+2 DrMOS...you can see info in specifications or on advertisement pictures on web pages. High core CPUs are power hungry and that power cascades are responsible for power delivery. Cheap motherboards has less power cascades e.g. 8+2 / 10+2 with less Ampere delivery each, so overheating is common...also smaller VRM(voltage regulator module) heatsinks(around CPU socket on motherboard).
It is highly adviced undervolt CPU, which will decrease power consumption, temperature without decreasing performance. And also set manual fixed allcore frequency and not use single thread turbo boost is better if you want to get maximum from CPU at certain cooling solution, because every consumed watt counts and also every degree of temperature could means performance.

I would advice ryzen 9 5950X, because you can put together almost two complete PC sets at the same price as one with threadripper CPU. Threadrippers has worse performance/price ration and also more expensive motherboards are needed. Or what you will save on one PC with 5950X you can put on GPU, which are too expensive these days :(.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 08:24:48 PM by Bzuco »