Forum

Author Topic: No texture on filled holes  (Read 1438 times)

metaman

• View Profile
No texture on filled holes
« on: January 15, 2022, 12:54:48 AM »
Hello!

I'm trying to make a model of this box (first one)

https://sketchfab.com/vanjos/models

When I use 'medium' quality settings in all steps from the workflow menu, there is a hole in the shadow side of the box (image 1). I was able to fill it with 'fill holes' from the tools menu. But then the filled hole has no texture (image 2). Building the texture again doesn't solve the problem. Why? There seems to be enough information in the photos: if I run all the steps in the workflow with 'lowest' quality settings, there is no hole and also the shaded side of the box has a more or less convincing texture.  (image 3) What can I do to get the texture in the filled hole?

kind regards

PS I just tried the same procedure, using 'high' quality settings, and the hole is even bigger....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 01:30:46 AM by metaman »

Bzuco

• View Profile
Re: No texture on filled holes
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 12:09:03 PM »
Be sure you take all photos with the same exposure(taken somewhere between dark and bright box part), so there will be no differences between photos from different angle on that shadowed part. Otherwise you will got only few features detected from that part of the box( the cardboard doesn't have much features on the surface, so shadow doesn't help at all)
Another option is better lit the box from all sides.

metaman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 12:47:36 PM »
Thnx! Ok I'll keep that in mind. Meantime, I found using raw (and 16 bit tiff) works better. Also, I placed a couple of scuffs and marks on the difficult side, so that there is more to hold on to for the  software...

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 10:16:29 PM »
Hello metaman,

When you are rebuilding the texture, do you also rebuild the UV atlas (and choose Generic mapping mode)? If you leave Keep UV option in Build Texture dialog after filling the holes in the mesh, the newly added geometry wouldn't have any associated texture atlas charts, so you should rebuild the texture from scratch, including the UV layout.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

metaman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 11:04:52 PM »
Hello Alexey,

thnx yes that was it, it worked ! Hmm now I shall have to find out what all these terms mean...

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 05:00:26 PM »
Hello metaman,

UV layout (so-called texture parameterizaiton) means how the parts of the texture file (an image) should be applied to the 3D mesh polygons. Roughly speaking, it is a correspondence between 3D polygons and 2D texture image. Building UV is a first phase of Build Texture stage in Metashape. When you add new polygons to the model that already has a UV parametrization, newly added polygons wouldn't have any correspondence to the texture file and therefore will remain blank. That's why it has been suggested to rebuild UV after closing holes - in order to have all the mesh polygons included to the parametrization process.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC