Forum

Author Topic: Need help! "Infinite Values in Transform Are Not Allowed" w/ GCPs  (Read 4002 times)

jenkinsm

• View Profile
I thought I fixed this error but now it's back again and I don't know what is causing it. I input about 25 GCPs and when I go to Optimize, I get this error.

Any help is appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:35:57 PM by jenkinsm »

Paulo

• View Profile
Re: Need help! "Infinite Values in Transform Are Not Allowed" w/ GCPs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 03:30:44 PM »
hi Jenkinsm,

maybe you can give more details on the GCPs coordinates, the project crs, or better a creen shot of your reference pane with GCPs coordinates.

This way we can better dignostic the issue,
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 08:29:59 PM »
Hello jenkinsm,

If possible, please send the project in PSZ format with the camera alignment, placed markers and input coordinates to support@agisoft.com.

I assume that there's something wrong with the coordinate system definition or with the coordinate data input.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

jenkinsm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 12:48:51 AM »
Thanks, I will send the project today. It's around 100 GB currently.

One thing that I think is either causing this error, or is happening as a result of it, is that GCPs I add at the far end are being "blue flag" projected onto the initial photos several miles away. This prevents the GCPs from aligning with their real-world locations. Going through the photos and manually clearing the marker placement fixed it once, but then when I add more GCPs it happens again. By "fix" I mean I optimized the cameras and the tie points aligned with the map as expected. But after aligning more photos, I can't get it to line up anymore. Also, I can't find a way to batch clear marker projections, so I have to go through dozens or hundreds of photos and individually clear the projections.

You can see in the attached image 1 how there are only two real GCPs (point 4 and point 33) and the rest are projected from locations throughout the corridor. The blue flags are new ones, and all the white flags are ones I cleared previously.

Image 2 shows the top-down view of the photos I've aligned so far. The project is an 18-mile stretch of road captured in a 24 fps video. Right now I am stitching the images from the Eastbound capture.

The highlighted line shows the actual road, and all of the GCP coordinates correspond to points along that road. The coordinates were taken from Google Maps and the accuracy is set to 10m.

As you can see, the model wants to wrap around on itself despite Metashape doing a fairly good job of sticking to the curvature of the bends. I think this is happening because of the GCPs, specifically the far-right GCPs being "blue flag" projected onto the far-left images. Although, before adding any GCPs it was also showing signs of warping.

I've been aligning a batch of photos, adding GCPs, optimizing, adding more photos, aligning, adding GCPs, optimizing, repeat. If this is the wrong method, let me know and I'll adjust my workflow.

I calibrated the lens in Metashape using the chessboard, but I did not indicate the pixel size and focal length (this is because the camera app I used produces 4000x3000 video whereas the stills with EXIF information are slightly larger, and I did not want to risk inputting the wrong values. Does this make any difference?)

The screenshot of my reference pane with GCP coordinates has 0.1 as the accuracy, but the accuracy has been set to 10.0 up until this point and my problem occurred with that setting (I am trying different things to see what might fix this).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 01:18:32 AM by jenkinsm »

jenkinsm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 08:41:14 AM »
I believe I figured everything out and got it working properly. I still welcome any feedback/advice about my workflow since I plan to do many more projects like this in the future (corridor mapping for VR driving simulators).

Here's what I changed/did differently to make everything work:

- Thinned the sparse point cloud to get rid of uncertain tie points. They seemed to be preventing Optimize from doing anything at all.

- Changed the marker accuracy to .001m which made the markers line up with the points I chose in Google Maps. The OSM map in Metashape seems to match perfectly the Google one, at least in this area, so the GCPs line up with the exact locations I chose in Google Maps (as shown on the OSM).

- Went through all of the initial photos AGAIN to disable the projected markers. This keeps happening and is probably due to the fact that Metashape is expecting aerial nadir images with GCPs and not close-range terrestrial images. I discovered that in the reference pane, I can right-click on a marker and remove all the projections. Now I do this every time I add a new marker and then add it manually in the corresponding photos.

- Optimized the cameras after each step listed above. I turned on/off various GCPs and it seemed to work well when I enabled only a few GCPs at first (20% of 52) and then enabled more GCPs and optimized each time. Eventually, I was able to get the entire project to align with the OSM in Metashape and am currently aligning additional images.

I wish Metashape would not project markers onto images very far from where it was placed. It was very frustrating to figure all of this out by trial and error!

jenkinsm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 10:58:20 PM »
Another day, another problem.

I set a few thousand more photos to align overnight and when I woke up, I continued the process I had developed yesterday where I place GCPs and then optimize to get the photos to follow the road contours.

However, today the photos would not move after optimization.

I'm getting really frustrated since as far as I can tell, I'm following all the steps in the manual and in various tutorials. I realize this project may be too large for Metashape to handle, but if so then why is that limitation not denoted anywhere? Is that truly my problem, or am I committing some other error?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 02:07:46 PM »
Hello jenkinsm,

if possible, please save the project with the camera alignment (tie points, aligned cameras, placed markers) in PSZ format via File Menu -> Save As command and send it to support@agisoft.com, so that we could check, what might be wrong.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

macunnin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 12:48:21 AM »
Hi Jenkinsm.
Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I am getting the same error and I can't find any other discussions or posts about it.

M

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 03:27:50 PM »
Hello macunnin,

Usually such error message is observed when the coordinate information input for cameras or markers to the Reference pane does not fit the coordinate system selection. For example, if coordinates are being transformed via Convert button on the Reference pane toolbar, but source/target system is incorrect.

Can you send the project in PSZ format with the alignment only to support@agisoft.com? Most likely we would be able to find out the reason of the problem quickly.

On your side you may check, if the coordinate values loaded to Source tab for cameras and markers (that are checked on in the pane) fit the coordinate system (selected in the Reference pane settings dialog). If not, then I would suggest to use Reset Transform option from the chunk's context menu (in the Workspace pane), then load proper coordinates both for cameras and markers, define corresponding system in the Reference pane settings dialog and then press Update button on the pane's toolbar.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC