Forum

Author Topic: tie points don't update after manually aligning selected cameras  (Read 1338 times)

Regina1

• View Profile
After placing manual points and successfully aligning cameras that didn't  originally align I notice that the number of tie points listed in my spare point cloud model doesn't change.  Shouldn't I see an increased number of sparse point points after these camera aligned.  I guess what I'm asking is what am I gaining from spending the extra time aligning cameras if it doesn't appear to be added to my data set? If it is adding to my data set, where do I see "the points" numbers increase? Do I see this further down the line while building mesh/dense cloud etc?

Paulo

• View Profile
Re: tie points don't update after manually aligning selected cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 06:22:39 PM »
Hello regina,

the manual tie points you placed are markers (with no reference location) and not automatic tie points. So they will appear in the markers section of WorkSpace and not affect number of automatic matches or tie points.. In example, images 5993 and 5994 were aligned placing 4 manual markers (points 1 to 4). As you can see there are no valid matches between the 2 photos...but 4 manual points or markers.
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

Regina1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 07:48:23 PM »
Okay that makes sense but what I'm still not understanding is what the benefit would be? Does this show up in the dense cloud generation or texture generation? I'm assuming by manually aligning the images I will see the benefit showing up somewhere along the line. I would just like to have a better understanding as to when I would see the benefit off manually aligning the images. 

Paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 02:07:03 AM »
Normally manual tie point determination is used in cases where automatic matching fails.  Automatic point matching is much more efficient and precise than manual...
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor