Forum

Author Topic: Dealing with blurriness at the edges of aerial photographs  (Read 1489 times)

stijnionio

• View Profile
Dealing with blurriness at the edges of aerial photographs
« on: March 21, 2022, 05:14:46 PM »
Hello community,
I'm currently working with Agisoft Metashape (and photogrammetry in general) for the first time. I have flown with an SenseFly eBee X and taken 300+ photos, using perpendicular flight paths and taking both oblique and nadir imagery throughout the study area (see attachment). I've followed the general Workflow as proposed by Metashape, but my resulting orthomosaic leaves some things to be desired. When I used all photos (Nadir and Oblique), I had lots of blurry areas, which makes sense since areas at the 'far' edge of the photo (farthest away from the camera) were very blurry.

I then decided to build an orthomosaic with only Nadir photos, but still using the Mesh that was based on all the photos (both nadir and oblique). This gave better results, but I still have blurry patches around the seamlines, since the nadir photos also have some blurriness at their edges (see other attachment).

Do you have any tips to fix this, other than manually assigning images around the seamlines to select the best, sharpest images? Thanks in advance!

James

• View Profile
Re: Dealing with blurriness at the edges of aerial photographs
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 01:06:24 PM »
It's been a while since I dealt with importing masks, but I think you could create a black and white mask image to mask out the edges, and import it to all of your nadir images.

As I remember, masked parts of images are not used in the orthomosaic unless there is no other image covering that area, in which case the algorithm ignores the masks rather than leave a gap in the orthomosaic.

stijnionio

• View Profile
Re: Dealing with blurriness at the edges of aerial photographs
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 02:25:32 PM »
Thanks James! That has mostly resolved the issue!