Forum

Author Topic: Multi-camera rig vs. Station  (Read 2615 times)

sepehr500

• View Profile
Multi-camera rig vs. Station
« on: March 21, 2022, 06:30:10 PM »
Hello! I am working with a fixed camera rig that has 4 fisheye cameras all perpendicular to each other( 90 degrees, allowing for a 360 view) with a bit of overlap. Would the best way to add these photos to metashape be with a multicamera rig? if yes, how would I go about setting out the master/slave offset calibration? Camera 1 and 3 are back to back, so i'm assuming the slave offset would not apply? Would this kind of setup also allow metashape to infer scale? Thank you!

Kiesel

• View Profile
Re: Multi-camera rig vs. Station
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 10:53:09 AM »
Hello sepehr500,

1. A camera station assumes that all photos are shot around the projection center (NPP no parallax point). Your multi cammera rig doesn't fullfill this.
2. The projection centers of all 4 cameras have different positions (offsets to each other), that's why they need to be handled as multi camera rig in Metashape.

For that organize the photos from every single camera in an own folder and put all 4 folder in another one (the number of photos in every folder need to be the same). You then can call that upper folder in Workflow/Add Folder and choose Multi-camera system. In the camera calibration dialog you can input offset values for a precalibrated rig. Your multi camera rig will be calibrated in camera alignment process.

Best regards,

Kiesel
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 12:54:55 PM by Kiesel »

Paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 11:01:45 AM »
hello,

also important that the 4 cameras are shot at same time (synchronized) so to respect the multicamera rig setup...
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

sepehr500

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 06:52:05 PM »
Thanks for the response! For a 4 camera rig with all cameras perpendicular to each other around a single point, what would the slave offset look like? I'm having difficulty finding documentation on exactly what each part of the slave offset means.

Paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 06:30:37 AM »
Hi sepehr,

I think you can have a look at Rigid Camera Rigs section (p. 35) of User Manual for more guidance...In Slave Offset tab you can even let Metashape estimate both location and rotation offset as in first screen capture.

Second screen capture shows offset between Master and Slave1 cameras (at 90deg, looking to horizon and at same level ΔY=0)...from there you can determine other offsets for other cameras...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 10:33:58 AM by Paulo »
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

Kiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 12:26:19 PM »
Hi sepher,

you can look for details in the 'Rigid camera rig data' section in the manual at page 23 (page 29 in PDF) and the following pages:
The first subfolder camera will be automatically set as master camera in Camera Calibration dialog, the rest of the cameras will be tackled
as slave cameras to the master. ....

Kiesel

sepehr500

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 08:18:20 PM »
Thank you for the responses! My mistake for being unclear with my situation. The 4 cameras are facing away from eachother around the same point. Does this change the recommendations?

Paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 03:04:18 AM »
sepehr,

The schema shows exactly this: the master facing front and Slave1 facing right. For each camera, the Z axis represents the camera viewing direction...then you would have Slave2 camera facing back and Slave3 facing left...

PD. i you have a sample of a few of the  4 camera rig images to share we could have a look at it and recommend further...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 03:09:41 AM by Paulo »
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

sepehr500

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 07:05:35 AM »
Thanks Paul. Thanks for posting that configuration. I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes!