Forum

Author Topic: How to get started with capturing face  (Read 6564 times)

Buddhi

• View Profile
How to get started with capturing face
« on: August 11, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »

Hi All,

I am really new to this, but I got lot of experience in 3D modelling and motion capturing.
if you guys like to see my works https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=vb.480212378664557&type=2

I really like to get start, could you please help me guys,
I really like to capture fullbody but I know it requires around 50 cameras, am I right?
it is bit more expensive right now, That would be my ultimate goal,

how I can get started at least capturing face,
how many cameras? what is the best cameras?
do I need any other software and hardware to kick start.

looking forward to hear from you guys,

Cheers _ Buddhi

Magnus

• View Profile
Re: How to get started with capturing face
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 02:37:29 AM »
Hello!

I think that a good way to go would be to start with some Canon 600Ds (check the thread "Most reasonable DSLR for multi-cam face capture setup") and to experiment with different camera setups.
I started with few cameras and tried different positions and distances and added more as time went by, this was a great learning experience.
If you want a quick start and are aiming for pro results then it might be a good idea to get some consultation from Lee of Infinite-Realities.

I currently use 14 or 16 cameras in my facerig (8 Nikon D3200 and 6 or 8 Canon 1100D) and they are set up in stereo-pairs (this works great for my needs). I will most likely switch them out to my other rigs as I add more cameras. This is just for capturing face though, not a full head.

For mounting I use Manfrotto Super Clamps with either different kinds of ball-heads, "Manfrotto 056 3-D Junior Heads", "Manfrotto 155 Double Ball Joint Heads", "Manfrotto 244 Variable Friction Magic Arm with Camera Brackets" or as in my current rig just a plate with two cameras attached to a "Manfrotto 174 Snap-In Pin for Super Clamp System".

For triggering I just use regular corded remote trigger with 2,5 and 3,5 splitters and cables (budget reasons, hehe). You need to find some way to set delay if working with flash to be able to sync the cameras. You could go with PocketWizard models that can set delay or some other trigger. I trigger the flashes with a Canon Speedlite attached to one camera that is set to second curtain shutter simply because I had one around, hehe.

For offloading to computer and control of settings I use Smart Shooter, I highly recommend it.

Best, Magnus.