Forum

Author Topic: Tweak for /tmp folder  (Read 1701 times)

pavesani

• View Profile
Tweak for /tmp folder
« on: April 14, 2022, 02:13:09 PM »
Part of the workflow in Metashape use as temporary storage the folder in /tmp. I have issue with the small partition devoted by the system to the storage of /tmp. I discovered the opportunity to use "tweak" to change some deafult variable in Metashape. Is there a tweak to configure the location of /tmp folder?

Bzuco

• View Profile
Re: Tweak for /tmp folder
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 05:06:54 PM »
You can change system temp folder location like in screenshot. It is usefull also for other applications, not only Metashape.

thl

• View Profile
Re: Tweak for /tmp folder
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 03:37:25 PM »
On your Linux system, you can keep /tmp data in a virtual file system in memory. If you decide to do so, first understand that all content of /tmp will get lost during each power cycle. But I say this is the correct behaviour of a temporary filesystem.

On my Linux host, I use this line in/etc/fstab:

tmpfs                      /tmp    tmpfs      defaults,size=2048m 0 0

Means that I have a virtual partition which can hold up to 2GB of data in RAM. If you have lots of RAM, you can increase that limit.

If you know what you do, you can add some more options for hardening your system but that might cause problems during update of some programs which execute install scripts in /tmp:

tmpfs                      /tmp    tmpfs      defaults,noexec,nodev,nosuid,size=2048m 0 0

When the entry is placen in your /etc/fstab, reboot your host.