Forum

Author Topic: Volume calculation in complex structures  (Read 2039 times)

DroneInspect

• View Profile
Volume calculation in complex structures
« on: July 07, 2022, 01:29:13 PM »
I have a question about the volume calculation in Metashape Pro:

If I'm calculating something like a stockpile, everything is clear and easy - but how about complex structures?

Have a look on my drawing attached - it is not like a pile... its a complex structure. This is a sideview... not a topview btw!
If i define my polygon on the level of the red line in my drawing, the area in green lines is considered as cut volume, but how about the orange lines area?
Is it also taken into consideration or will I get only the green lined area as result?

Thanks in advance!

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Volume calculation in complex structures
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 07:24:00 PM »
Hello DroneInspect,

For such kind of surfaces in Metashape you can only use mesh-based volume calculations, providing that the surface of interest is represented as watertight model (surface without any holes).

If you use DEM-based volume measurements for the case, you will get larger volume than expected, as if orange lines on your picture are extended up to the red line.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

DroneInspect

• View Profile
Re: Volume calculation in complex structures
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 09:09:36 PM »
So when using Mesh as base, the calculation doesn't stop once the first surface is reached?
Watertight is clear - the problem with DEM based is also clear!
Someone explained my once ago that some cut fill calculations just take every point on the base polygon and just look how far away the (first) surface is.
If so, the volume lined orange would be just ignored...

But if Metashape doesn't do this, I'm totally fine! 😉