Forum

Author Topic: Problem with using depth maps of Google Pixel smartphones  (Read 939 times)

Kiesel

• View Profile
Problem with using depth maps of Google Pixel smartphones
« on: July 11, 2022, 03:31:30 PM »
Dear Agisoft team,

Today I tried to follow your article https://agisoft.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000162212-smart-cameras-with-depth-sensor-data-processing with photos made with the Google Pixel 4a 5G, but when I import those photos with 'File/Import/Import Laser Scans...' and then choose all photos with 'Dynamic Depth Image (*.jpg *.jpeg) after that Metashape opens surprisingly the same folder again, which now seems emty, to choose a folder. When I go one folder up to choose the same folder, with the photos in it, I get an error message (see appendix) that Metashape can't read the embedded depth data. As result none photos are imported.

To make sure that the photos have embedded depth data I have imported one in Photopea, with the result, that they have 4 layers (see also appendix)
Layer 1 white filled depth data layer
Layer 2 depth map
Layer 3 original photo
Layer 4 with depth data processed photo

In advance to any help

best regards,

Kiesel
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 03:37:14 PM by Kiesel »

johnnokomis

• View Profile
Re: Problem with using depth maps of Google Pixel smartphones
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 07:18:52 PM »
I have the exact same problem except I'm using an LG V60 with the ToF sensor. I've hunted the internet, posted in other forums, reddit, GitHub and nobody can offer any suggestions. I know the depth data is there because I can extract it using other methods.

Kiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 11:51:01 PM »
The Agisoft team is working on it.
So there is some hope.  :)
Perhaps you send them some photos with depth maps made with your phone too to help to solve the problem.

Kiesel
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 12:22:35 AM by Kiesel »

johnnokomis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 04:07:16 AM »
Here's 196 photos with depth maps in the EXIF. These would make a great model if only the embedded data could be taken advantage of.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xRtpjWqbd24BqgN38

I hope this helps.