Forum

Author Topic: Agisoft PhotoScan 1.0.0 pre-release  (Read 274575 times)

Infinite

• View Profile
Re: Agisoft PhotoScan 1.0.0 pre-release
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
Hello Infinite,

We have selected Z-up Y-front X-right convention for PhotoScan to be consistent with engineering data. Does it introduce significant problems in your case?

The pivot is currently not changed by a rotation tool, only orientation is affected.

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your reply.

That's pretty bizarre that in engineering terms Z-up Y-front X-right? generally in computer graphics, Z-Front (as in Z depth) X-right (as in horizontal) Y-up (as in vertical) xyz = rgb

It might be useful to have a tick box in preference to swap modes? It doesn't introduce problems it just appears incorrect.

The pivot is currently not changed by a rotation tool, only orientation is affected.

Doesn't the rotation tool rely on a pivot point to rotate around? if so what is the location of the pivot point in Agisoft?

- Lee

meshmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 07:37:02 PM »
Hello Infinite,

We have selected Z-up Y-front X-right convention for PhotoScan to be consistent with engineering data. Does it introduce significant problems in your case?

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your reply.

That's pretty bizarre that in engineering terms Z-up Y-front X-right? generally in computer graphics, Z-Front (as in Z depth) X-right (as in horizontal) Y-up (as in vertical) xyz = rgb

It might be useful to have a tick box in preference to swap modes? It doesn't introduce problems it just appears incorrect.

Doesn't the rotation tool rely on a pivot point to rotate around? if so what is the location of the pivot point in Agisoft?

- Lee

No actually it's normal in engineering for Z to be UP, it's been like that for as long as I can remember.

"z-up was started with architecture in mind where x and y are the horizontal planes and thus z is the extrusion or height dimension. y-up was started with film in mind where x and y are the dimensions of the image plane and z is the depth or distance from camera."

There are other reasons as well... but this makes sense.

Cheers,

J
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:44:59 PM by meshmaster »

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »
Hello Infinite,

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your reply.

- Lee

No actually it's normal in engineering for Z to be UP, it's been like that for as long as I can remember.

"z-up was started with architecture in mind where x and y are the horizontal planes and thus z is the extrusion or height dimension. y-up was started with film in mind where x and y are the dimensions of the image plane and z is the depth or distance from camera."

There are other reasons as well... but this makes sense.

Cheers,

J

I really can't get my head around that x and y being the same plane. Very bizarre. It's like color, or colour. Left line, right lane :P or Unit measurements across different applications.

It would still be good to have this option. As you know Softimage z is depth, in Max y is depth. They always have to be different! so options for us confused and delirious users are always welcome!

meshmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 08:01:01 PM »
I hear ya... that used to drive me bonkers as well (um...still does...LOL).  But that's the reason Max uses Z up... it's a holdover from Autocad thinking.

Cheers,

J
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:04:55 PM by meshmaster »

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 08:07:17 PM »
I hear ya... that used to drive me bonkers as well (um...still does...LOL).  But that's the reason Max uses Z up... it's a holdover from Autocad thinking.

Cheers,

J

Understood  :D

RHenriques

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 08:16:02 PM »
Today I was able to generate a dense point cloud in a MacBook Pro, with only 8 GB of RAM, in "High" quality. This took a while but not as much as the mesh generation process, in medium quality settings, in the previous version. The posterior meshing process is impressively quick and the generated surface surpasses, by far, the best results I could achieve in the previous version. Much more detail and slightly higher accuracy. This move to allow the user to access and use the intermediate Dense Point cloud generation has proven to be one of the wisest decisions by Agisoft team toward quality. One of the best things for the user is the improved speed while tweaking the final model. With a modest configuration was almost impossible to edit the final mesh, mainly the dense ones. A simple selection of polygons could take several seconds. Making the same editing using the dense point cloud is a breeze. Users will like it a lot!
Cheers

PS: Considering the axis, z-up; y-front; x-right is the standard orientation in GIS systems. It's the standard  for all the projected Earth coordinate systems. Allow them to change could be interesting for some external packages related with CAD applications but, for GIS users, PS's axis orientation is perfect as is.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:23:15 PM by RHenriques »

jedfrechette

• Lidar Guys
    • View Profile
    • www.lidarguys.com
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 11:22:17 PM »

I think you mean Y up is a holdover from 2D camera oriented thinking.  :P
Jed

OakCorp

• View Profile
    • OakCorp
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »
What is the meaning of "Image Quality"
How does it use?

Is it a feature which excludes the image of low quality (contribution) ?
--------------
OakCorp,
yuji yamauchi [senior tec support]

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 12:51:46 PM »

PS: Considering the axis, z-up; y-front; x-right is the standard orientation in GIS systems. It's the standard  for all the projected Earth coordinate systems. Allow them to change could be interesting for some external packages related with CAD applications but, for GIS users, PS's axis orientation is perfect as is.

I think you mean Y up is a holdover from 2D camera oriented thinking.  :P

From now on and forever in computer graphics terms, I will always correct researchers and graphics artists when they use crazy terms like z-depth. "NO! NO! NO! I shall have you know it is called Y-depth! no X-depth!" Oh I give up  :o

meshmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 01:04:43 PM »

From now on and forever in computer graphics terms, I will always correct researchers and graphics artists when they use crazy terms like z-depth. "NO! NO! NO! I shall have you know it is called Y-depth! no X-depth!" Oh I give up  :o

LOL!!!   What a palaver  ;)

Cheers,

J

airmap3d

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 01:36:47 PM »
I cannot get it to export an ortho as good as the last version.  I have tried numerous settings and not had any luck.

Mainly in regards to vertical features, such as my vehicle.  See attached samples...

RHenriques

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »
Airmap3d, that still happens in my case but, mostly, only in areas where the number of projections is low (less than 3 photos). Things improved a lot considering geometric defined structures, such as homes.

From a GIS point of view, z is depth so z-depth is correct :)
To describe the surface os the earth, Y is used for Latitude, X for Longitude (geoidal surface of the earth after unfolding or projection) and Z for Altitude (or depth hehehehe), precisely as PS defines the Axis orientation when real world coordinates are used. In most 3D applications, such as Maya, Cinema 4D, you will get the same Axis orientation if you use the Front View. So, indeed, if you get a human figure orientated in front view standing up, X will be from hand to hand, Y from feet to head and Z will be the depth. The confusion is that,  in Mapping and GIS applications, this is a top view and not a front view. It's indeed confusing and that's why it could be useful to allow axis shifting according to convenience.

This problem goes far beyond this because is one of the main issues when you try to import terrain models, generated from real world data, to most 3D applications. When we import a DEM, for instance, it's a mess. The terrain does not adjust to the planar default grid unless you do a X-90 degree shifting. Real world coordinates are all messed up. This is important if you need to use most dynamic and atmosphere effects from 3D apps. GIS and Mapping applications do not mix well with 3D modeling and animation applications unless you do some tweaks to your data, as I always do.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:29:56 AM by RHenriques »

airmap3d

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 03:25:20 AM »
RHenriques, that particular portion of my ortho was projected in 15 images???  Both versions I ran with exactly the same data set and got significantly different results?

It's a mystery to me!

gheflorian

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 09:19:18 AM »
I really like the new improvements. Love the fact that now the software notifies you when trying to export and the photo folder is changed.
Also love the fact that we can see the project with dense point cloud because until now I could only look at the project with sparse point cloud or with mesh but that was moving so slow.
Did anybody noticed that now on the orthophoto we have ghost like objects when we have moving objects like cars? As a matter of fact RHenriques noticed that in the first place :)
On the leftt we have ortho using previous version and right using the new one. Notice that the color on the right one is much faded but I didn't use the color correction setting but the building geometry on the advertising panel is much better.
Also noticed the render info when exporting.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:55:08 PM by gheflorian »

James

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 12:21:44 PM »
Very much enjoying this version, especially F2 to rename chunks, and the texture blending is astonishingly good!

Found that photoscan crashed on calculating colour correction if some photos weren't found and i chose to ignore the warning. (There were 3 missing out of 90 so i thought it would be ok, i know i need to be more organised!)

Is there somewhere I can run the photo location check without starting a workflow process, or other way to visually flag missing images, maybe in the photos pane?