Forum

Author Topic: Agisoft PhotoScan 1.0.0 pre-release  (Read 273849 times)

andyroo

• View Profile
Re: Agisoft PhotoScan 1.0.0 pre-release
« Reply #345 on: December 27, 2013, 12:14:48 AM »
I had a strange outcome with PS 1.0 build 1789 when trying a new model-building strategy (build model from whole flight instead of chunks, with no interpolation). The project is 809 cameras (777 aligned) in 4 overlapping flight lines along a 30 km river corridor.

Normally I would align all images and add GCPs, then optimize alignment before splitting into chunks and building dense cloud and surface model with ~50 000 000 faces, with interpolation enabled. This time I decided to build a single surface with no interpolation (Was hoping to avoid hole-filling in wetted channel). I ended up with a very broken-up model with poor detail resolution.

First I aligned all images and added GCPs, then optimized alignment. Then I built dense cloud and mesh in batch process. My dense cloud is 622 613 930 points, but the model only has 12 096 826 faces. There is virtually no detail in the areas where normally I can see quite a lot (terraces, logs, etc). I attached an image showing the sparse point cloud with the model generated from the dense cloud in the same area (sparse cloud is only 832 012 points, but still better resolution than the model.

Dense point cloud reconstruction was 3 hours 33 minutes, and model generation was only 34 minutes 43 seconds.  What I don't understand is that there were clearly a lot of points in valley bottom areas (even in sparse cloud generation), but these points look like they were "skipped" for surface reconstruction. I don't know if that's because of the "aggressive" setting or the "no interpolation" setting but it seems weird. There are holes in the surface model where the river is, like I expected, but in the valley bottom, where the detail should be good, it is very poor - only a few polygons instead of thousands.

It would be nice if instead of interpolation/extrapolation/disabled, I could specify maximum area (or distance) to interpolate, and some way to exclude the small islands outside of the main model area.

Settings were:

Build Dense Cloud
 Quality: Ultra-high
 Depth Filtering: Aggressive (read in a post that is preferred "default" setting now?)
 Reuse depth maps: No

Build Mesh
 Surface Type: Height field
 Source data: Dense cloud
 Interpolation: disabled
 Face Count: Custom
  Custom Face Count: 50000000

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 27, 2013, 12:36:49 AM »
Hello Andy,

And have you tried to reconstruct mesh with  enabled interpolation setting based on the same dense cloud?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

augeaz

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 27, 2013, 01:00:29 AM »
Hello Alexey

I can see PS 1.0.0 came out of beta but I still have to keep it on my testing machine as the problem with textures persist, unless I am doing something wrong.

http://scr.hu/1rd/kn9c3
http://scr.hu/1rd/ufsut
http://scr.hu/1rd/ou1dx
http://scr.hu/1rd/76voe

Everything was done from scratch.
1. add photos
2. build dense cloud
3. build mesh
4. build texture
5. export texture

A very sparse texture
http://scr.hu/1rd/4hhua

Please advise.

Regards
Marcin

blmvnew

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 27, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »
Hi Marcin,

I got the same result of yours when I use V.1780 few weeks ago.
After that I downgrade the version to the one before 1780.

I am not sure does the 1789 and 1795 already fix it or not.

Will try later.

BTW it is not a always problem. Some results are good.

Blmwnew

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 27, 2013, 11:08:04 AM »
just tested the 1795 build, and the texture is still VERY sparse...

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 27, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »
Hello,

In the latest builds mesh generation method in Arbitrary mode has been revised to produce sharper details of the geometry. The scattered texture atlas with huge amount of texture charts is caused by these changes. We are currently checking the possibility to improve both stages (reduce artifacts on geometry mentioned by AlexanderT and improve texture atlas parametrization) and if everything goes fine improvements will be implemented in the 1.0.0 update.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Zissou

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 27, 2013, 07:56:04 PM »
Hello!

Im not sure if this is a bug or if it was reported. The issue I am having with, is exporting orthophoto image - top down view of an archeological excavation. Exported image has an overall heavy greenish tint, losing the correct colors that can be seen on the models texture. The function autocorrect color (on or off) produces the same results. Also it matters not whether blending mode is mosaic, average or max min. intesity.

edit: I am using the latest build of the pre-release

Kerri

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 27, 2013, 08:56:58 PM »
I'm looking for more information about the algorithm used for the "Image Quality" feature. I would like to know how it determines blur. Thanks!

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 28, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »
Hello Kerri,

PhotoScan estimates the sharpness of the borders between separate areas on the photo and according to this information provides Image Quality value.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 28, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »
Hello Zissou,

Can you please post several screenshots describing the problem: the resulting orthophoto, the overview of the model with and without camera positions?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

blmvnew

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 29, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »
Hi Alexey,

The latest 1795 is same to 1780 that the texture is still VERY sparse and some time the texture is whole black.

Would you please try to correct this ASAP?

Currenly we can only use older build for our work.

Best wishes
Blmvnew

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 29, 2013, 08:37:28 PM »
I'm sure Agisoft folks are doing their best to resolve the issue, and in the mean time, we can roll back to the latest build before the new algorithms were introduced. If I am not mistaken, it is build 1774, correct?.

I have a question though: I already have a lot of projects done on latest builds, with mesh artifacts similar to those everyone else is getting. After rolling back to older build, do I just have to rebuild mesh to get good old clean geometry results? Or do I have to rebuild dense point cloud on that build as well?

-Andrew

blmvnew

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 30, 2013, 04:33:59 AM »
Hi Andrew,

By my experience the dense point cloud that build by the latest version can be used in old build and the result is ok.

Best wishes
Blmvnew