Forum

Author Topic: Texture transfer baker ray distance increase?  (Read 2473 times)

Bellbossk

• View Profile
Texture transfer baker ray distance increase?
« on: August 30, 2022, 03:16:18 PM »
Hello, previously I was using Substance Designer for transfering a texture but decided to try Metashape as it can handle 16k. I noticed however that the ray distance is shorter than in designer, leading to the twigs on my mesh, which are the furthest points from my bake plane, to be partially black.

https://ibb.co/W3HvpC0
Left is substance designer, right is Metashape

Could we get a ray distance slider perhaps? Thank you.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Texture transfer baker ray distance increase?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 03:38:10 PM »
Hello Bellbossk,

can you describe your workflow a little bit? If you are using the Transfer Texture option, please specify how the target model has been obtained from the source model?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Bellbossk

• View Profile
Re: Texture transfer baker ray distance increase?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 02:45:16 PM »
Hello Alexey,

Certainly, workflow is reduction of raw mesh to 200 million, then generate UVs and texture in Metashape with images as source. Further reduction to 50 million to export to Zbrush, import to Zbrush and project a subdivided plane to match the position of the mesh. Export the plane to Metashape, and build texture with the 200 million as the source.

In Substance Designer I can set the 'relative ray distance' to 1.0, 'relative to the bounding box' (not so clear an explanation), which is a wide enough range to capture all the geometry, both highest and lowest surfaces.

The reason I would like to use Metashape instead is higher resolution baking and I don't have to export/import huge meshes.

On that note a height baker would be fabulous which I know is often requested too. I know of one person who uses another software solely because it has a height baker, yet they have better results overall with Metashape.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 03:05:02 PM by Bellbossk »