Forum

Author Topic: Hardware and specs for an ideal processing server  (Read 1285 times)

Jernej

• View Profile
Hardware and specs for an ideal processing server
« on: September 06, 2022, 01:08:39 PM »
Hello

I'm currently working on a project (purely theoretical) to build the ideal work server or HPC for the photogrammic workflow. From image processing to photogrammetry itself to rendering and creating assets and such.
I'm interested in the ideal hardware specifications for a machine like this. I've read some articles but none talk about an HPC configuration for such a use case and with Metashape workflow in mind.
My question is, what should I focus more when building such a machine? GPU or CPU processing power, RAM and storage sizes and so on. The projects running on the machine would be large, 20 000 images and more, running simultaneously.

Bzuco

• View Profile
Re: Hardware and specs for an ideal processing server
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 02:24:36 PM »
You will be running several photogrammetry projects at once, or what do you exactly mean "running simultaneously"?
For rendering it is easy. In case CPU rendering, you can buy the best perf/price CPU on market. In case GPU it is the same, best perf/price GPU on market.

For photogrammetry it is a little tricky, because not all HW components are utilized @100% all the time. I'm leaning more towards the CPU(more core count better). More important is to understand the photogrammetry parameters in option dialogs and do no let computer to calculate what is not necessary. From this reason the GPU is slightly less importatn in the whole process.
You can check this topic https://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=14808.0  to more understand how is the hardware used during photogrammetry computation.