Forum

Author Topic: Agisoft Metashape 2.0.0 pre-release  (Read 40338 times)

Dmitry Semyonov

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Agisoft Metashape 2.0.0 pre-release
« on: October 14, 2022, 06:28:47 PM »
Pre-release version of Agisoft Metashape 2.0.0 is available for download.

This pre-release is considered as unstable and is not recommended for production use.

Please use the links below for download:

Agisoft Metashape Standard edition
Windows 64 bit
Mac OS X
Linux 64 bit

Agisoft Metashape Professional edition
Windows 64 bit
Mac OS X
Linux 64 bit

Agisoft Metashape Python 3 Module (requires Professional edition license)
Windows 64 bit
Mac OS X
Linux 64 bit

Agisoft Metashape Java Library (requires Professional edition license)
Download

Metashape 2.0.0 Change Log
Metashape 2.0.0 Python API Reference

Please let us know if you have any problems using this version.

Please post problems and/or questions concerning other Metashape version in separate topics.

This topic will be removed when the final 2.0.0 version is released.

Free update
Update from Metashape 1.x to Metashape 2.0 is completely free and does not require any additional payments from the licensed users.

Note
Project files created with 2.0.0 version can't be opened with Metashape 1.8 and earlier versions.

Note
Metashape Professional 2.0 comes with a new license activation system. You will need to enter your Metashape activation key after you update Metashape 1.x to Metashape 2.0, or use a trial activation option.

EDIT:
Metashape 2.0.0 build 15597 was finally released. Thank you for useful feedback.

Please use the links on the main Metashape page for download:
Download Installers
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 03:46:34 PM by Dmitry Semyonov »
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

Mak11

• View Profile
Re: Agisoft Metashape 2.0.0 pre-release
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 05:08:56 AM »
Hi,
Is there any major (or minor) changes made to the alignment & reconstruction algorithms compared to 1.8 ?

Mak

BetaTest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 06:27:08 AM »
Pre-release version of Agisoft Metashape 2.0.0 is available for download.

Dmitry,
Thank you for the hard-work and new release.

Normally there is something relatively significant in the differences between full version increments (1.xx vs 2.xx).

Is this this case with the new 2.xx version, or is this just a natural progression, much like 1.8 to 1.9, for example?

From the perspective of the changelog ( https://www.agisoft.com/pdf/metashape_changelog.pdf ) - it appears like this is a standard sub-version upgrade and there are no major paradigm-shifts going to the new v2 version?

Thank you in advance!

Dmitry Semyonov

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 09:29:09 AM »
Hello BetaTest,

The main differences in Metashape Professional 2.0 are the concept of laser scans and aerial lidar data support. For purely photogrammetric workflows it is indeed more like incremental update, although even in this case new features like DEM editing are introduced.
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

Dmitry Semyonov

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 09:36:40 AM »
Hello Mak,

The main change in reconstruction algorithms is support for integration of photogrammetric depth maps with aerial lidar data during mesh generation step.
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

flyzk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 11:58:46 AM »
Activation : I plan to buy new licence of Agisoft. Should I activate it with 1.8.x or with 2.x.x ? Knowing that I will use both version (I use some script that work only with 1.6.

LiDAR / depht map : could you show a sample of how it works or could you explain ?

thanks
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 12:55:22 PM by flyzk »

JMR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 04:21:27 PM »
It is rather difficult to understand for me why steps towards the integration of lidar/laser scans and photogrammetry requires the removal of  the terms "laser scans", or "LiDAR" from all menus. Apparently import scans sounds too much explicit or specific, so it is better to call them depth images.
Why not "structured laser scans" versus "unstructured point cloud? Also why drag and drop scans over the chunk is still impossible?
Thanks for the update!!!! I'm eager to test it further.

Best for good russians.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 05:06:34 PM by JMR »

Dmitry Semyonov

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 07:01:00 PM »
Hello flyzk,

If you don't know yet which version you are going to use it is better to start with Metashape Professional 1.8 and activate the license there. Such activation will work for both Metashape 2.0 and earlier versions.

LiDAR / depht map : could you show a sample of how it works or could you explain ?

Metashape Professional 2.0 will automatically use both photogrammetric depth maps and laser scans when generating a model or tiled model using Depth maps as data source. So all you need is a chunk with aligned images and lidar data imported using Import Point Cloud command with Use as Laser Scans flag set on.
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

Dmitry Semyonov

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 07:10:53 PM »
Hello JMR,

In Metashape Professional 2.0 both structured terrestrial laser scans and unstructured aerial laser scans have to be imported using Import Point Cloud command which now preserves all point attributes included structured information. The Import Depth Images command is intended to be used only for RGBD images from smartphones equiped with TOF depth sensor or similar devices. It still supports PTX and E57 import formats, but such workflow is deprecated in Metashape 2.0.
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

bassistas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 07:40:46 AM »
Hello, I just tried this pre-release version and when I try to load any e57 laser scan the program crashes and closes after some minutes of loading without any error. The e57 files are structured and they are exported from the Faro Scene.  Does anyone know why this happens?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 11:11:49 AM »
Hello bassistas,

Do you use Import Depth Images or Import Point Cloud for E57 files? Also can you share the processing log related to the file import (enable Write Log to File option in the General Preferences tab and try to reproduce the issue)?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

vmpakas@culture.gr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2022, 02:56:32 PM »
Great work team,

thank you so much for the effort you gave for this.

As soon as i installed it, a started  a new project in this new version (metashape 2.0).

I have a set of images and also a set of scans (aligned in the laser scan software).

So, trying to work with it a lot of questions arrised:

1.first of all can you suggest a general workflow ?
    2.when align the photos, how i can be sure that the aligment is locked on the laser scan since the are not aligned together?
    3.mesh production seems al lot slower than before. How this procedure considers the laser scans point cloud geometricaly?
    4.is there a way to allign photo on the imported laser scans?

best regards
vasilis
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 03:18:20 PM by vmpakas@culture.gr »

Dmitry Semyonov

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2022, 10:33:20 AM »
Hello vasilis,

Please check an article on new Metashape 2.0 features in our knowledgebase for brief overview of the workflow differences:
https://agisoft.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000168452-the-main-differences-in-metashape-professional-2-0-0

We will provide more detailed instructions specifically on terrestrial laser data processing in a couple of weeks.
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

vmpakas@culture.gr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2022, 11:49:27 AM »
hello everybody

This topic is really helpful.
Can you tell me how can i align images together with laser scans in the case when the laser scans have absolute orientation (from the laser scan software).
Can i reduce the number or even eliminate the need for control points in this case?
Also, during alignment, the choice to "reset current alignment" is not active.

I have to say again than you are doing a great job for us.

best regards
vasilis

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 12:57:26 PM by vmpakas@culture.gr »

e.spiridonova

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2022, 06:10:25 PM »
Dear vasilis,
To align images and laser scans you need to use Align Photos command from the Workflow menu and enable the Reset current alignment parameter in the Align photos dialog window (alignment within the group will be preserved).  But please note, before run alignment you need to group laser scans into a fixed group.
To create a group: Select laser scans on the Workspace pane and choose Move Laser Scans > New Laser Scan Group.
Fixed group: select Set Group Type > Fixed from the Group context menu.

You can use fewer control points, because the alignment in the fixed group of laser scans is more stable.

Please check that you have specified to use your point clouds as laser scans. Select point cloud on the Workspace pane and choose Use as Laser Scans command from the Point Cloud context menu. If you have indicated that you want to use point clouds as a laser scans, they will be displayed in the Laser scans folder on the Workspace pane.

Thank you for your feedback, it is important to us!
Best regards,
Elizaveta Spiridonova,
Agisoft LLC