Forum

Author Topic: Shooting interior with Nikon D5300  (Read 3889 times)

Paulo

• View Profile
Re: Shooting interior with Nikon D5300
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2022, 11:39:58 PM »
Thanks again, Bzuco,

long life to forum for its interesting collaboration between users.... Again you are right, Bzuco for the corner noise, is caused by low overlap. Of course it was a fast outdoors test, but the images have a surprising lack of sharpness (all images have reported DOF 1.27 m to inf) although I took with remote shoot from phone on tripod... head scratcher :(
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

Bzuco

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2022, 02:43:26 AM »
I hope the results from Ricoh GR 16 Mpix  will be much sharper, because on your 3 example photos from google drive , whole image is slightly out of focus, monitor text logo, light bulb, yellow cable, markers on table, sofa pattern, outdoor part behind glass...

Bzuco

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2022, 10:56:39 AM »
Hi Paulo again,

I had never done pure interior pointcloud, but it is interesting for me too, so I made another test in my room.

I think the key for success will be the focus point distance. When I set the focus point somewhere in the middle of the camera-wall distance, I got slightly higher image quality score(thanks to slightly sharper objects, which are closer to camera). And what surprise me is that difference in score between ISO 100/3200 is very small or almost none. Also image features are still recognizable in both cases.
I think, ISO 800-1200 would be fully usable if you decide to shoot from hand and lighting conditions will be sufficient. If the Paper Plant object is not large(thousands of photos needed) or you will have plenty of time for shooting, then tripod solution with ISO 100 would be best choice. What do you think?  :)

JJ

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2022, 01:22:55 PM »
JJ, our scans  are for eventually to generate precise point clouds of the interior of a Paper Plant. I agree with you that white even colored walls and ceiling are really not good for photogrammetry...
my 2c

sharp photos depend more on the quality of the lens than the quality of the sensor.  i mentioned this is another thread but don't think anyone took it seriously, because most FF and/or APSC users dismiss smaller sensors without taking the time to understand the benefits

i use a camera pole not a tripod, even for interiors, and the only reason why i even use a pole is because it makes it easier to reach over things - reach over plants and low trees, reach over tables, sofas etc.  for exteriors the pole also makes it easy to take photos higher up (i scan everything from the ground)

i normally work with exteriors but a recently started a redesign job of a house, both interior and exterior work.  i don't need detailed scans because i rebuild everything in CAD (i use the scan to create reference floor plans and to confirm dimensions and levels), but i think my observations are useful because by simply increasing the number of photos, better results can be had

this was my first interior scan, and the house it quite large and has 3 floors, including a bedroom in the loft.  i scanned the whole house in one go - just over 1000 photos in total

tbh i didn't think it would work, so i didn't put that much effort into it, and if i did another one i think the results could be improved significantly.  the only place where Metashape struggles (as i mentioned before) is which plain white walls and ceilings, so i would need to find some way to improve that.  if your interior has plenty of detail on the walls and ceilings i don't think you will have problems

regarding the lens and mft sensor, look at the estimated image quality.  some of the images are shot as low as 1/25 of a second and like i said, no tripod.  in most cases i was holding the pole in my hand off the ground and quickly moving through the house and shooting

i've attached some examples and like i said above, the interior scan could be improved significantly with due care and attention.  one thing i was very happy with is that i scanned the interior and exterior of this house (separately) and later combined them in my modelling software.  the interior model fit pretty much perfectly inside the exterior model

let me know if you'd like to know more

Paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2022, 05:40:50 PM »
All the way with JJ,

your interior is very impressive indeed given the circonstances! If you could tell me a little bit more the camera, settings and interior lighting conditions, I would really appreciate  :). I am coming to the conclusion that the Nikon I used has some heavy blur problem, given that I was shooting at f8 with tripod and remote trigger...
I will look at the Ricoh GR for my  next tests....
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 05:43:11 PM by Paulo »
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

JJ

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2022, 01:59:12 PM »
I am coming to the conclusion that the Nikon I used has some heavy blur problem, given that I was shooting at f8 with tripod and remote trigger
which lens are you using?

I will look at the Ricoh GR for my  next tests....
Ricoh GR is a nice camera, but it doesn't have IBIS (in body stabilisation), so you will need a tripod with interiors

If you could tell me a little bit more the camera, settings and interior lighting conditions
lighting conditions - available light only.  turned on the lights in any darker rooms, otherwise just daylight through windows

camera - i used a Pen F, but any MFT camera with IBIS and interchangeable lenses will be fine.  if you just want the cheapest body that will do the job, then take a look at a used EM5 mk1.  that was the first Olympus camera to introduce the modern 5 axis rated @ 5 stops, which is the same as i have.  Used ones can be found for <£150 (e.g. https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/olympus-om-d-e-m5)

lens - Samyang (also known as Rokinon) 7.5mm fisheye (FE).  manual focus, but that's not a disadvantage.  i tried an AF lens but in practice results were worse and more time consuming because the focus point was often not where i wanted it.  with the Samyang FE you set focus based on the scene, somewhere close to infinity and at an aperture of around f5.6 (equivalent to full frame f11) just about everything is in focus.  the lens is pretty much sharp edge to edge which i guess is why the estimated image quality is so high.  used copies again from <£150 (e.g. https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/samyang-7-5mm-f-3-5-umc-fisheye-micro-four-thirds-fit)

don't take my word for it though.  this is just what i use and i get great results for my use.  pls do your own research though

Paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2022, 05:25:20 PM »
Thanks JJ for lengthy and informative response!

The Nikon D5300 I was testing has a Zoom 18-55 mm lens set to 18 mm....
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

JJ

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2022, 05:59:32 PM »
The Nikon D5300 I was testing has a Zoom 18-55 mm lens set to 18 mm....
this one?

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/nikkor-lenses/auto-focus-lenses/dx/af-p-dx-nikkor-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6g-vr

i don't think it should be anywhere near as bad as your results show.  maybe there's something wrong with your technique?

when you took the interior shots are you very careful pressing the shutter button (so as not to move the camera)?

have you tried using a shutter delay to take the shots? (e.g. 2 second delay)

i would make sure there is nothing wrong with your current technique before buying more equipment

Paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2022, 06:25:21 PM »
JJ,

the lens is AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II. I really why the images are blurry as I am using a tripod with remote shooting using my smart phone connected by Wifi to the Nikon... quite baffling...
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

JJ

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2022, 06:49:18 PM »
the lens is AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II. I really why the images are blurry as I am using a tripod with remote shooting using my smart phone connected by Wifi to the Nikon... quite baffling...
like you say, something doesn't seem right.  is the lens and the sensor clean?

maybe try with the Ricoh and reassess

Paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2022, 05:33:38 AM »
Hi all,

I was able to do a 58 foto shoot of the interior of a garage with the Ricoh GR, tripod and 2 s delayed shooting. Results are much better!

Thanks for all your good advice! very helpful!
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor