Forum

Author Topic: Building a mesh from Dense Cloud vs Depth Maps vs Tie Points  (Read 1470 times)

beldridg

• View Profile
Building a mesh from Dense Cloud vs Depth Maps vs Tie Points
« on: November 27, 2022, 02:35:14 AM »
Hi all,

I've seen a few posts about the ability to build a mesh from Depth Maps directly instead of building a Dense Cloud first. I also noticed an option to build from Tie Points.

What are the practical differences in these approaches?

My use case is to build solid models with textures of underwater wrecks and post them to Sketchfab.

I think the "pro" of building from Depth Maps instead of a Dense Cloud is that you would skip the time to generate a Dense Cloud -- but does it increase the time to build a Mesh?

- brett

cbnewham

• View Profile
Re: Building a mesh from Dense Cloud vs Depth Maps vs Tie Points
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 03:38:45 AM »
It's a lot faster without the extra step of generating a dense cloud and the results are superior - at least in my usage. I haven't used a dense cloud since Metashape standard edition was released with depth map capability.

beldridg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 07:40:54 PM »
Thanks. What would be the benefit of generating a dense cloud then? I guess you could do certain editing functions before you build a mesh?

- brett

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 08:41:39 PM »
Hello Brett,

Dense cloud is commonly used in aerial surveys, when the classification is required (for example, Ground / Non-ground for the terrain model generation), then mesh or DEM is generated from the certain class only.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

beldridg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 02:08:49 AM »
Thanks for your response.

So, if for example, I wanted to have somebody build a 3D model of just an airplane and not the seabed, I would classify the sand one way and the airplane another and then build just the airplane?

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

- brett