Forum

Author Topic: Model Rotated Around Axis Causing Image to Not Align Properly  (Read 724 times)

Personic Graphics

• View Profile
Model Rotated Around Axis Causing Image to Not Align Properly
« on: December 12, 2022, 07:18:37 PM »
Hey everyone!

I'm new to Metashape. My client wants me to recreate her sculptures into a 3D digital space so that she can add it to her website with different textures.

Now the problem I have is how she and her photographer took the photos. The sculpture is supported by a rod on a turntable and the sculpture can rotate around the rod it was created on. When I asked them to take photos from different angles, instead of moving the camera, they rotated the sculpture (see the images attached to see what I mean.)

When I align the photos, they all align horizontally around the model thus mashing all of the angles together and making the sculpture look (even more) deformed. Is there any way that I can set Metashape to properly align the photos so that the focus is the model?

I've already completed one of her sculptures that didn't have as much detail, but this one is (excuse the pun) a nightmare!  ;D (Note, in light of the jokes, I love her work as an artist. Don't get me wrong.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 07:20:58 PM by Personic Graphics »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Model Rotated Around Axis Causing Image to Not Align Properly
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 08:18:45 PM »
Hello Personic Graphics,

Can you show the distribution of the tie points on a couple of photos from the set?

If you have a lot of tie points detected on the background (a wooden mount), you can create a few rough masks for it and then in Align Photos dialog select Apply Masks to Tie Points option. It should help to suppress the tie points detected in the masked areas.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Personic Graphics

• View Profile
Re: Model Rotated Around Axis Causing Image to Not Align Properly
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 09:19:26 AM »
Hi Alexey!

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you mean. Are the tie points points that are created by Metashape when aligning the photos (or some other step in the process), or is it those markers that some users have on the turntable when taking photos?

I'm attaching two more photos that I haven't cropped. Let me know if these help answer your question.

Another question I have is if I should mask out the rod and wooden platform? There are 465 photos in total, and I worry that it might take me too long to mask everything and checking all of the masks. Any tips on that?

Thanks in advance!

Marcél Nagel
Personic Graphics