Forum

Author Topic: Classifying ground and (low) vegetation  (Read 969 times)

tylerbarnes

• View Profile
Classifying ground and (low) vegetation
« on: January 17, 2023, 11:22:34 PM »
I'm having difficulty classifying between ground and relatively low vegetation. I have built a dense point cloud of a marsh, featuring marsh vegetation covering most of the cloud other than the unvegetated (brown) marsh edge (see photo attachment). I have tried to separate marsh ground points from vegetation points using various techniques.

First, I classify ground and high vegetation (no option for low vegetation) using "Classify Points...". I've tried this with a few different confidence values (0.2, 0.5, and 0.8). Each time it fails to properly classify.

Next, I simply classify ground points. Similarly, it doesn't distinguish the points properly.

Despite all this, I create a couple DEMs from the ground points I've classified and bring these into GIS for further inspection. One thing to note is that GCPs on the marsh were mounted atop a short post so that they could be seen despite the marsh vegetation. I check each of the marsh GCPs and confirm that the DEM places the GCPs at the correct elevation. I also check the the DEM elevation adjacent to the GCPs---and note that the approximate GCP post height from the DEM matches my real-world measurements. This would suggest that the DEM truly does reflect ground point elevation (even though the color of the dense cloud is green, suggesting vegetation).

So, I suppose my question is...has anyone run into similar issues? Have you successfully classified ground and vegetation when vegetation is relatively low and dense?