Forum

Author Topic: Laptop recomendations  (Read 1274 times)

Dukytony

• View Profile
Laptop recomendations
« on: March 10, 2023, 12:48:34 PM »
Hello!

It's been a while since I had to be looking for a new laptop for my work so I'm gonna need your help.

I have a budget of 4750€ to buy a laptop that's gonna be used for Metashape work (large but not crazy large drone datasets).

So far I'v been using MSI laptops and I'm pretty happy about it. I'm just not sure I need all the "gaming" accessories commonly found on those gaming laptops.

I'm looking at this Raider GE67-HX-12UHS model in particular wich seems okay :

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/Raider-GE67-HX-12UX/Specification

I would set ram to the max 64gb and add a 2tb ssd.

given the budget of this kind of laptop I'm also wondering if it wouldnt be a better idea to buy 2 less powerful laptops for the same total budget instead? This would mean I could use them in network processing and use 2x64gb instead?

I'm mostly working abroad so I need to be able to deploy the most portable/powerful setup wherever I'm working.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Corensia

• View Profile
Re: Laptop recomendations
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 08:04:17 AM »
Hello,

I'm not sure exactly how prices are in your region but I would definitely recommend going with the newer MSI Raider GE78HX models. You'll get a big performance boost from the 13th gen Intel CPU and also upgraded performance from the 4000 RTX series at the same price point.

Buying two less powerful laptops mean you have to buy another copy of Metashape, and would probably be a hassle to set up a network server on the move. I personally would prefer one powerful one with plenty of storage.

Hope that helps!

Shovelhead

• View Profile
Re: Laptop recomendations
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 01:05:54 AM »
With budgets being equal can someone build/buy a laptop that would be comparable to a desktop unit? If not, any idea what the loss in performance would be? 50%? 80%?