Forum

Author Topic: Script Split in chunks  (Read 1887 times)

tazzo

• View Profile
Script Split in chunks
« on: March 05, 2023, 02:39:02 PM »
Hello,
Is the "overlap %" mandatory to correctly merge back chunks by using the script?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Script Split in chunks
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 02:39:53 PM »
Hello tazzo,

Resulting models will be merged, even if you select 0% overlap. But seams may be visible on resulting model.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

tazzo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 04:45:33 PM »
Hello,

I tried with a complex model and 0% overlap sometimes fail or the resulting mesh is missing parts. With 25% overlap things are better, but I found that the best result is just by processing a single chunk.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 07:22:23 PM »
Hello tazzo,

Originally split-in-chunks script has been designed to process large projects to a single mesh model, that couldn't be done in a single chunk due to the algorithm limitations in the older version (it existed for dense cloud based mesh in Arbitrary mode), but now most major tasks are optimized to be run in out-of-core mode to fit 32 GB RAM.
So it should be possible to build a dense cloud or mesh in a single chunk for a dataset consisting of thousands and tens of thousands of images.

Is there any specific purpose for your projects to use the script?

Maybe you can also share the screenshots demonstrating the issues of the merged model in comparison to the model processed in the single chunk.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

tazzo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 08:12:49 PM »
Hello,

I was doing some experiments on a laptop with 16 GB of memory and I was getting memory problems (with v1.8), so I tried the script to split the processing and I found out this behavior. I'm sorry, but I don't have anymore the dataset.