Forum

Author Topic: Normals not being created from Trajectory  (Read 3001 times)

Chani

• View Profile
Normals not being created from Trajectory
« on: March 14, 2023, 11:47:03 AM »
I have been testing out Metashape 2.0.1 for importing SLAM point clouds and it looks like the create normals from Trajectory is not working anymore.

I noticed that the workflow has also changed. It seems that you now have to import a trajectory file before you import your LIDAR (SLAM) point cloud, which is then supposed to get used for creating the normals on the imported cloud (unless I am missing something).

The following images are screenshots from Metashape 1.8.4 where the trajectory import generates correct normals. The second image is from Metashape 2.0.1 where the normals are showing as incorrect.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Normals not being created from Trajectory
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 02:13:07 PM »
Hello Chani,

Can you please share the source point cloud and related trajectory to support@agisoft.com, so that we could analyze the issue?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Chani

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 02:26:44 PM »
Hello Chani,

Can you please share the source point cloud and related trajectory to support@agisoft.com, so that we could analyze the issue?

Sent via WeTransfer

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 06:53:48 PM »
Hello Chani,

Can you please confirm, that you have imported the trajectory (with properly specified column order) and only after that imported the point cloud with "trajectory" option selected in "scanner position" field?

With your data and the described steps we have properly generated normals in the project.

Your screenshot from 2.0 version looks like the point cloud has been imported using "origin" option for the normals generation and trajectory has been imported only afterwards, when the normals have been already generated.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Chani

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 07:00:54 PM »
Hello Chani,

Can you please confirm, that you have imported the trajectory (with properly specified column order) and only after that imported the point cloud with "trajectory" option selected in "scanner position" field?

With your data and the described steps we have properly generated normals in the project.

Your screenshot from 2.0 version looks like the point cloud has been imported using "origin" option for the normals generation and trajectory has been imported only afterwards, when the normals have been already generated.

"Can you please confirm, that you have imported the trajectory (with properly specified column order) and only after that imported the point cloud with "trajectory" option selected in "scanner position" field?"

Yes, this is correct. Start Metashape, import trajectory file into blank chunk using the correct column headings, import laz file specifying to use the trajectory. The result does indeed look like it's using origin rather than trajectory. Could it be anything to do with installing over the top of 1.8.4? Maybe some settings are being left behind?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 07:20:33 PM »
Hello Chani,

Thank you for additional information.

I was able to reproduce the same problem that you are observing, if the trajectory is imported without skipping the first row (with the headed information). Please try to perform the same steps, but using Skip Rows = 1 in the import trajectory dialog.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Chani

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 08:04:43 PM »
Hello Chani,

Thank you for additional information.

I was able to reproduce the same problem that you are observing, if the trajectory is imported without skipping the first row (with the headed information). Please try to perform the same steps, but using Skip Rows = 1 in the import trajectory dialog.

Ok I can confirm that that was the problem. I was almost certain that I was skipping the first row as that is how I have always taken my trajectory files in previously.

It does work now that I have double-checked and made sure that I am skipping that first row.

Thanks for your help with this!