Forum

Author Topic: Texture artifacts after mesh decimation  (Read 3881 times)

MAVtrix

• View Profile
Texture artifacts after mesh decimation
« on: March 16, 2023, 05:08:55 PM »
After mesh dcimation, created texture has strange artifacts. I found similar problem here https://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=9756.msg44775#msg44775 but in the latest version.
Triangles are appearing only after decimation, before is everything ok.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Texture artifacts after mesh decimation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 05:40:24 PM »
Hello MAVtrix,

Can you describe your workflow?
How many polygons are there in the original model, in decimated model, and how texture is generated for the decimated model?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

MAVtrix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 05:52:38 PM »
Hello,
Thank you for reply.

Original model: 33,079,455 faces
Decimated model: 7,500,000 faces
Texture:
        - Type: Diffuse map
        - Source data: Images
        - Mapping mode: Generic
        - Blending mode: Mosaic
        - Texture size/count: 8192x3
hole filling and ghosting filter enabled

I did many models like that, so I was suprised what happend

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 03:16:13 PM »
Hello MAVtrix,

Can you send the archive with the original and decimated models (for example, in OBJ formats) to support@agisoft.com? It would be easier for us to check the problem, as we weren't able to reproduce the issue on some similar projects.
Additionally please include the PDF report exported from the complete project.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

bassistas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 02:20:29 AM »
Hello MAVtrix,

Can you send the archive with the original and decimated models (for example, in OBJ formats) to support@agisoft.com? It would be easier for us to check the problem, as we weren't able to reproduce the issue on some similar projects.
Additionally please include the PDF report exported from the complete project.

This issue with the texture artifacts still exists in the latest 2.1.0 pre-release version. Are there any plans to fix this or do you have any workaround to avoid having them on my model?

Also at the moment, there is no way to have a smooth texture for indoors when using a flash.  If I choose Mosaic each photo blends nicely in terms of exposure but the texture is not smooth (in some areas is very sharp and high res and in other areas blurry. I understand this is because of the distance and angle I take each photo).  On the other side, If I select average mode, I get a nice smooth texture but with a lot of lines everywhere (check the attached screenshots). On top of these if I have a decimated mesh or if I have re-imported the mesh which I have cleaned and decimated on another program then I get all these triangle artifacts spreaded everywhere in my model and even if I want to fix them manually using, for example, the substance painter then also the UDIM support is still broken in 2.1.0 and substance throws errors when I try to import. It only works when I have a small model/object with just 1 texture.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 08:01:32 AM by bassistas »