Forum

Author Topic: Advice needed for a tricky project  (Read 633 times)

jenkinsm

• View Profile
Advice needed for a tricky project
« on: April 02, 2023, 09:53:50 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has advice for how to deal with this specific issue: I am making an indoor go-kart track and I have a complete set of photos for the whole building. Roughly half of the photos are close-up oblique shots of the track surface itself, and the rest of the images cover the building (walls, support beams, etc.)

If I align and make a mesh from only the photos of the track surface, the track turns our relatively good. Very little noise and overall a result I am happy with.

The problem occurs when I try to make a mesh that includes the images of the walls and support structures. Those images also show parts of the track surface, although not in much detail. The mesh made from all of the photos has a very noisy track surface, which makes it unusable for baking normal maps.

What can I do to "force" Metashape to use the close-up track surface images for that part of the mesh and ignore the track surface shown in the other images?

I'm looking for a semi-automated solution that doesn't involve masking images individually.

So far I've tried to generate masks on the "walls" images after making a mesh of the track surface only, but this resulted in some areas getting masked out that shouldn't be. I think it's because the track is on two levels with a ramp, so MS is masking areas that show the underside of the upper level.

I have also tried aligning just the track images, reducing the overlap, then aligning the "walls" images with the existing aligned track images, and making a mesh from that. The resulting mesh is pretty much the same.

Is there something I'm missing that would get me the results I'm after?