Forum

Author Topic: Strobe-based Image Projection  (Read 11517 times)

chadfx

• View Profile
Strobe-based Image Projection
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:16:53 PM »
For those of you working with noise projections to help with capture, this seemed like an interesting concept.
Essentially it is a strobe lit slide projector.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Spiffy-Gear-Light-Blaster.aspx

Possibly it could allow a better capability to freeze motion than with the usual digital projector setups, or better synchronization and control with the rest of your camera/strobe setup.

Has anyone tried something like this?

meshmaster

• View Profile
Re: Strobe-based Image Projection
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »
Yup, I've done this myself!

Cheers,

J

meshmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 07:43:32 PM »
Ok, I'll let the cat out of the bag.

I came up with a similar idea back in 2005.  I've built several strobe based speckle projection systems since.. initially I tore apart traditional slide projectors and replaced the light source with a strobe, since then I've come up with several very custom solutions. The upshot is that it works :-)

I've not tried this thing... but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Cheers,

Joe

chadfx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:55:54 PM »
Nice to hear, Joe.

Do you feel it's any better/worse than using a digital projector? I suppose it probably depends on what setup you have in the first place, and what you're trying to capture. This seems to maybe be a bit more work on the front end to set up, but maybe easier to use when actually capturing once it's all working.

Cheers, -Chad

meshmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
I think it has real advantages.  Firstly, depending on how you proceed, and if you decide to build a custom system you can potentially use VERY bright light sources... far brighter than anything that a projector will produce.  Second, you can sync the output to your cameras as well, or to a trigger delay... that opens up many possibilities in respect to scanning.  On the downside, it takes a good amount of experimentation to land on a solution that will work for you.  That said, I believe that a strobe driven speckle projector has a lot of real advantages.  At the very least, it's worth having a go!  Up till now, it's sort of been one of the "secret" weapons in my toolbox.  Like I said, I've not specifically tried this unit, but works on exactly the same method as what I cooked up here.

Cheers,

J

viper_0711

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »
hi,
after reading this posts, i bought 2 light-blasters.

however, i found that i need studio strobe instead of small on-camera flash, in order to have comparable power to other lights, for the projection. the problem is light blaster can only fit small on-camera flash and studio strobe version do not have any release date.

does anyone successfully use light blaster? or any other successful case of flash projection highly appreciate if you can share your setup :) even its another solution

my two lightblaster is just not working here... i even ordered my custom-made slides and lens/filter for it...

thanks

James

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »
just recently got 1 light blaster, 24-85mm nikon lens and nikon sb-600 which we use remotely with nikon d7000.

i haven't used it in anger yet, just played around firing it at the ceiling so far!

i don't expect to use it for any large scale projects, but maybe some small internal scenes if they come up.

i found that i had to manually set the sb-600 to 85mm zoom, and manual 1/1 power, with the lens at 24mm and f3.5 to get a really rather strong image projected at a range of ~2m.

yet to try in a larger space...

i found with sb-600 at 24mm zoom not much light came out of the lens.

i also found that the focal distance scale on the nikon lens is way out and that it needed to be set at about half the actual distance, but i'm sure there's a scientific reason for that.

with the d7000 in commander mode and the light blaster on a tripod i took a few images of the ceiling from different angles and it worked a treat.

i expect that for non-planer surfaces the projection might suffer from dof issues and require a smaller aperture on the light blaster lens which will reduce the strength of the projection.

meshmixup

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 07:03:05 AM »
That's really useful as an alternative to projector. I'll make a try too. But to my understanding noise projection will sacrifice the instantaneous texture capturing. Does anyone have such experience? :)

viper_0711

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 10:19:43 AM »
seems light there are people trying to experimenting it.
but LB alone cant have enough coverage unless u use multiple from multiple angle.
my thought is to add LB noise on top of existing studio strobe setup, so the light coverage is better and i can use soft light and or cross polarization altogether

any one has successfully use light blaster together with studio strobe as either source light, and/or, with studio strobe flashing together while still maintaining comparable light intensity for correct exposure?

James

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »
i agree multiple LB would be more useful. my intention is to do something like:

single LB fixed on a tripod
single camera on a tripod
move the camera around the scene, taking pairs of images with and without LB at each position. i'm thinking no need to take more than 2-4 pairs of images - above/below and/or left/right of LB for each LB position

then move the LB and repeat.

use pscan coded targets, or meshlab style depth map alignment to combine chunks.

swap in the photos taken with LB disabled for texturing.

tommyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »
Just got our LB, using it with a Yongnuo YN 560 III, and Canon 18-55mm kit lens, and the results are pretty dim.  You can get full body coverage if you put it on its side, you probably want 3 or 4 for full 360 body scan.  As others have noted, output is dim such that the room must essentially be dark otherwise, any strobe combination results in it getting washed out.

Anyone have ideas for driving more light through the LB?