Forum

Author Topic: Building dense Point Cloud  (Read 2079 times)

Felzigi

• View Profile
Building dense Point Cloud
« on: May 10, 2023, 04:47:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

I would like to build a dense Point Cloud using Python API. I used ...

chunk.buildPointCloud(point_colors=True)

to execute. But how can I change Parameters like quality (to "High") or depth_filterung (to "moederat") ?  There is nothing to find in the Metashape Python Reference. 

Is it like for the Depth Map?
chunk.buildDepthMaps(downscale=2, filter_mode=Metashape.MildFiltering,reuse_depth=False)

And is it neccessary to build a Depth Map before building the dense Point Cloud? Or are these two different things?

Greetz,
Felix

DocPopi

• View Profile
Re: Building dense Point Cloud
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 10:54:45 AM »
Hello!

From my humble observation, it seems that the buildPointCloud function automatically creates DepthMaps (which are High Quality by default, that is to say downscale = 1 if I'm not mistaken). I tried calling the buildDepthMaps function right before the buildPointCloud, and the result is exactly the same as if I had just called the buildDepthMaps function.

So my answer would be that calling the Depth Maps function allows you precisely to change the parameters of the depth maps that are going to be built. If you're satisfied with the default parameters, then you don't need to call it.

Hope I'm not mistaken :)

Take care,

Dr. Popi

Felzigi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 01:37:13 PM »
Hi Dr.Popi,

thanks a lot for your reply. So, I don't need the Depth Maps function, if I want to have everything in high quality, get it.  But how can I change the Parameters in the buildPointCloud function to very high quality and depthfiltering to moderat? Or do I need to call the builddepthmaps function before and choose the parameters in the Depthmaps function for the buildPointCloud Function afterwards?

Greetz,
Felix

Paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 02:20:32 PM »
Hello Felzigi,

in API, to create a Point Cloud you must first use chunk.buildDepthMaps where downscale parameter defines quality (1 = UltraHigh, 2 = High, 4 = Medium,...) and then use BuildPointCloud as following :
Code: [Select]
chunk = Metashape.app.document.chunk
chunk.buildDepthMaps(downscale = 2, filter_mode = Metashape.MildFiltering)
chunk.buildPointCloud()
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor