Forum

Author Topic: Crashing on Mac eGPU  (Read 3548 times)

wgreenePIMS

• View Profile
Crashing on Mac eGPU
« on: May 24, 2023, 03:27:13 PM »
Hi there,

I'm running medium-size underwater coral reef datasets (~1500 24mp images) with the latest 2.0.1 Metashape Pro version on a Mac Mini (2018, 6-core Intel i7, 32GB RAM) with the latest operating system installed (Ventura 13.4) and a Sonnet Breakaway Puck eGPU with an AMD RX5700 8gb card. The setup works very well at accelerating most apps, but I've found that having the GPU checked in Metashape settings (so, actually making use of the eGPU) results in very frequent crashes, especially while executing GPU-intensive tasks like building depth maps and depth map-based meshing. My processing logs indicate nothing - there's no error noted in it, the program simply crashes. Does anybody have any suggestions for me? I know this is an unconventional setup to be working with, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work as it's supposed to. When it does work properly, it's remarkably fast and effective, but given the crashes (happening with almost every dataset larger than 1,000 photos), it's been very frustrating. Thanks in advance for the help!

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Crashing on Mac eGPU
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 05:02:07 PM »
Hello wgreenePIMS,

Have you submitted the crash reports after the unexpected Metashape exits? If the issue is reproducible, please re-submit the crash reports and add the link to this thread to the Comments field in the crash reporter window.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

wgreenePIMS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 07:06:45 PM »
Hi Alexey,

I have submitted the reports but next time it happens I will add the link. Thank you!

smiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 11:50:07 PM »
Keep an eye on the memory on the eGPU while running the model. In my experience, having insufficient amount can sometimes cause crashes.