Forum

Author Topic: Questions: masking,etc  (Read 3131 times)

gamegoof

• View Profile
Questions: masking,etc
« on: September 15, 2013, 03:29:37 AM »
Glad to be here, very excited to help take this new technology to the next level from the inside of
the media industry :)

I am mostly in the testing phase right now and pushing for this tech at work, but its slow going, in terms of faces we need to sink 20-30k into a rig so Ive been looking at it for objects, props and the like. Its going pretty good but I have some questions:

1. Lets say I see a cool statues and take a pile of photos, is there a way to avoid any of these steps: point cloud generation for background objects (or is that part of the process, cant be avoided).
I have such images but PS generated a point cloud for the object and massive objects in the background, trees, buildings,etc which makes the mesh generation process intense...
Im at home today so I think masking is turned off in the demo (Registered at work) but how does the masking tool work and when do you use it? Can you use the square one to general isolation the object in the images to help PS optimize the project?

Even if not, once the point cloud is generated there should be a way for me to select the area of interest and only generating the mesh in that area...

2.Shine known down.. another issue with plastic and shiny objects, what are people using to knock down the spec on these objects? Anything food based like a spray that could be washed off so you dont ruin objects with some kind of dull spray paint?

3. Turn table for props... Is this viable or a better idea than physically moving the camera(s) around the object? Does it help for each background to be different?

4. That brings me to background... lately ive been thinking the more complex it is, the better... but to what extreme and what does that do to processing times?

5. My brain is going to explode

Thank you,

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Questions: masking,etc
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »
Hello gamegoof,

Areas of images covered by masks can be skipped during Align Photos stage if "Constrain features by mask" option is turned on. On the further stages masks are used automatically. Of course, you can use quick masking by rectangles that can be refined later using Mask from Model option, for example.
Please note that turntable scenario when the camera position is fixed and background is static always require background masking.

For shiny surfaces you can use sprays or flour, for example to add the texture pattern.

As I've already mentioned above, turntable scenario requires masking, but it can be done using Mask from Background feature if you have photo without the object from exactly the same position.
Taking pictures from different positions while the object remain static is reasonable in case the background can be used to help the alignment (or in case you can't rotate the object, of course).
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC