Forum

Author Topic: Cleaning Tiled Model (Remove Floating blobs)  (Read 1522 times)

mitchgalea

• View Profile
Cleaning Tiled Model (Remove Floating blobs)
« on: May 29, 2023, 01:53:15 AM »
Hello,

We have internally imaged a large water tank (80m) in diameter. Due to the close proximity to the ceiling we have a lot of images in the dataset (we are using around 12000 images). We want a high-resolution model. I am experimenting with tiled models for this (I haven't had any prior use cases for tiled models).
The settings we used were:
- Source Data: Depth Maps
- Quality: High
- Pixel resolution: 0.004m
- Surface count: High
- Ghosting filter: False

There are a lot of black noise blobs under and behind the tiled model. Using regular cleaning approaches such as gradual selection is not available.

Questions:
1. Is there any way to clean a tiled model?
2. Would enabling ghosting filter reduce the noise?
3. Would producing a regular mesh that cleaning it than using source data as mesh for tiled model work?
4. I am also considering dividing the model into chunks and separately processing, but would like to deliver a single model at the end, is this possible?

I have attached a screenshot.

Oscar Hoffmann

• View Profile
Re: Cleaning Tiled Model (Remove Floating blobs)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 08:45:14 PM »
Hi!

As you suggest, producing a regular mesh, cleaning it, and using it as source data for the tiled model works well. It is the only way that I know of to achieve your desired outcome.

Regarding question 4 there are two different approaches I can recommend.

1. You can use the split_mesh script (exists for metashape 1.8, not sure about 2.0) to split the mesh inside the chunk and then build a tiled model for each part. Then use "merge tiled model" under advanced settings in the build tiled model settings window to merge the parts back together one at a time into a single model.

2. Create chunks either with the split_in_chunks script or manually. Then you can use the "merge chunks" option in the workflow tab where you can select tiled models which will merge them if they are aligned.

Hope this helps! :)

mitchgalea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 03:53:43 AM »
Hi Oscar,

Thanks alot for your response, will look into these options! Cheers

AdSuwo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 01:29:11 PM »
Hi Mitchgalea,

have you finally been able to clean your tiled model? Which approach do you use?
I experienced a similar problem as yours, and I use depth maps based on tiled model generation having the same parameter setting as well.

Thank you.