Forum

Author Topic: newbie question with Photoscan and Zbrush workflow  (Read 18589 times)

gawin

• View Profile
newbie question with Photoscan and Zbrush workflow
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:39:56 AM »
Hi all,

I just began to use Photoscan for my school project which requires me to do some body scans. Currently I have 8 cameras system to capture data into Photoscan. In general photoscan did a really good job (provided that with proper lighting) in generating a workable mesh for me. However, I have problem "cleaning" the mesh and I would like to get some insights on how to form a relatively simple workflow with zbrush. My questions are:

1) I export the obj file from PS (along with the MTL and .JPG texture file), when I import the OBJ into zbrush and try to load the texture back into the model (I have not done any editing on the mesh yet), the texture was not loaded in properly (like they are not mapped into the right places, but I read from this forum that if you have not retopo your model into a new mesh then the UV's info should be retain?).

2) My project requires me to do 200 body scans so I am wondering what is the most efficient workflow. (considering data are captured properly with my cameras). Based on my research in this forum (a lot of great posts by the way :) )which one of the  the following is a viable / correct workflow:

Capture data -> Photoscan - > align / build geometry / build texture map -> export obj to zbrush -> clean up mesh -> apply the texture map generated from photoscan

or

Capture data -> Photoscan - > align / build geometry  -> export obj to zbrush -> clean up mesh -> retopo into a new mesh -> UV master -> spotlight to polypaint texture from a set of photos

P.S, The scans are NOT meant to be used for animation.

Best Regards,
Gawin

tezen

• View Profile
Re: newbie question with Photoscan and Zbrush workflow
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »
Hello Gawin!

1: You?ve to flip the texture vertically inside zBrush. But for a fast and good workflow of 200 (!) bodyscans you don?t need to this all the time.

2: I prefer another method...
Capture Photos -> drag them into PhotoScan -> align&build geometry (10 or more chunks per file)-> export obj -> import obj into zBrush -> cleanup mesh & zRemesh (+ reproject details) & uvMaster (for a better UV) -> export obj (and as a zTool of course) -> import obj into PhotoScan into the right chunk -> generate texture (with "keep UV" on) -> export texture

Greetings
tezen

gawin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
Hello Tezen!

Thank you for the great advice! I have a follow up question regarding the last step. For texture generation, is it better to use all the photos from the capture, or a specific 3 - 4 higher res file for the job?

Thanks!
Gawin

jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:28:16 AM »
you should use always highres pictures in agisoft to build geometry and texture! the process is slower but the quality is higher

jerry

joselopezha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 07:32:34 AM »
What am i doing wrong? when i import the mesh from ZBrush it disappears. Why is this happening? thanks four your help

joselopezha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
Something is happening with the position and orientation because i just created textures keeping UV's and the model appeared all in black, moved under the original position. Any advice??

joselopezha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 07:41:43 AM »
Here some captures

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 02:53:34 PM »
Hello joselopezha,

Do the model with the custom UV and original one exported from PhotoScan (unedited) overlay when opened in ZBrush simultaneously?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC