Forum

Author Topic: 3D printing issue - wall thickness  (Read 6732 times)

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
3D printing issue - wall thickness
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:03:12 AM »
Hi All, have someone try print larger model, that need precise set the wall thickness ? mostly for body or creature prints. because as i have tried, could not find good solution for it. Have tried Zbrush -  Dynamesh, 3DS MAX ( SHELL modifier ) , Geomagic ( SHELL command ). but no one can create PRINTABLE data.
its working only with very thin walls, that cannot be print out - stability issue.....

The problem is, we want test print large model, from OBJ, and the sw is not prepared for this sort of tasks like Zcorp ZPrint, there it can be set very easy.....

if interested can morning show what sort of problems it creates on mesh......

when need can give model for testing....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:05:50 AM by Wishgranter »
----------------
www.mhb.sk

chrisd

• View Profile
Re: 3D printing issue - wall thickness
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 01:11:33 AM »
Netfabb Pro also has a pretty reliable shell (offset) tool. You can specify the thickness, inside, outside, or both sides and the accuracy (level of detail) as well.

Jon_S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:43:47 PM »
hi
I use Geomagic at work, not sure if this is the way you have tried but to do this I would duplicate the model and offset by 1mm. 
next flip the normals and then combine the two meshes into one.
Sometimes during offset the extremities or tight corners of the model may overlap or intersect in which case I would need to delete these areas and manually hole fill.

hope it helps
 8)

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:33:29 PM »
Ok thanx
ChrisD  - know that app, but wanted use something that i already have and must not search for specialized sw package.... but thanx........ will try search someone who have it and can do it for me eventually

Jon_S. - will do more tests, but thats the tricky part, need a precise controll of the wall thickness and on complicated stuff it seem it not do what it should...

but as it seems the hollowing stuff is bit complicated as have seen results of the inside part from 3-matic, that show me one my friend........ the problem is when the model is 1+meter big the wall should be precisely under control as more material for walls cost much more money.....   
----------------
www.mhb.sk

chrisd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 03:54:21 AM »
Offsetting (or thickening) is complicated and few apps handle it well with polygonal or triangulated models. I have Geomagic (an older version) and as Jon has noted, you can get some issues with intersecting surfaces as a result.

I also have Netfabb Pro, so if you can't find anything else that will work, let me know.

Chris

ech3dt

• View Profile
    • Vexma Technologies Pvt.Ltd
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 02:05:23 PM »
 If your model contains thin walls it's a good idea to make them a multiple of your nozzle width (0.4mm for the UM2). If you make the walls thinner than a single line width there's a chance that cura will remove it from the model completely if it thinks it can't properly print it. Cura does a few tricks to be able to print both thinner and thicker lines than 0.4mm but if possible it's better to keep to multiples of 0.4mm since the nozzle was designed to print that width.

Also keep in mind that a sloped wall that measures Xmm perpendicularly to the surface will actually be wider when sliced in the horizontal direction.

3d printing service in ahmedabad gujarat
thanks.
visit: http://vexmatech.com