Forum

Author Topic: Computer/Laptop suggestions  (Read 15292 times)

mobilexcopter

• View Profile
    • mobileXcopter
Re: Computer/Laptop suggestions
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 08:29:31 AM »
Yes, I agree on that.  :)

Just wanted to know if someone is using something like that. I had a Toughbook before mainly because of the screen brightness as I work on the field with sun on my screen and as is time to upgrade I wondered if someone has any experience with these.

Alex

jedfrechette

• Lidar Guys
    • View Profile
    • www.lidarguys.com
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 01:06:55 AM »
I had a Toughbook before mainly because of the screen brightness as I work on the field with sun on my screen

Yeah, that can be tough, especially with the current craze for glossy screens. There are some nice screen shades out there though which can make even the worst screens a bit more manageable.
Jed

matteoponzio

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 01:25:33 PM »
I was just looking at that Sager and it would probably be my first choice.

Hi Jedfrechette. Do you know this brand? Have you used a Sager? I never heard of Sager before this reading this thread. I contacted Sager by mail to ask for some details and didn't get an answer. I feel a little uncomfortable to give them money, I admit.

In between I got to know from the university that I cannot get either Sager, Lenovo or anything else than Fujitsu. We are going for a modified H720 Fujitsu then: CPU: 3820QM, RAM - GPU - Quadro K2000M 2GB  - SSD/lager - 512GB SSD. The technique thinks that 32 GB is overkill. He suggests to stay to 16 GB. What do you think about this. We need to make 3D-models, right?

matteoponzio

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 01:38:55 PM »
Hello all,

I know what I would use in normal environment, but for a rough environments and not a bottomless budget I would probably go with something like Getac S400 or Panasonic Toughbook 52.

Anyone using something like that?

Regards,
Alex

Actually I didn't mean too rough environments. I'd anyway produce the good, big models indoor. But a semi-rugged computer can be interesting for outdoor documentation, where I can produce simple models(?)  I first thought of a Surface Pro 2 for this task, but I admit that the Surface Pro looks a little delicate for North-european weather.

jedfrechette

• Lidar Guys
    • View Profile
    • www.lidarguys.com
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 07:31:23 PM »
Do you know this brand? Have you used a Sager? I never heard of Sager before this reading this thread.

This will be my first Sager so I can't vouch for them personally, but I have a couple colleagues who swear by them. They also seem to have quite a good reputation in the gamer community. For me their main selling point is the customization allowed. I don't know of any other 15" laptop I can fit 4 hard drives in to.

It's not real encouraging that you didn't get a response to your email. Their laptops get resold by a lot of the boutique laptop shops so if you search for the model number you may be able to find a local reseller who can provide better service.

The technique thinks that 32 GB is overkill. He suggests to stay to 16 GB. What do you think about this. We need to make 3D-models, right?

Its been said before that you can never be to rich or have to much RAM (that goes for VRAM too). One of the things I like about the NP8265-S is the 4GB of VRAM on the 780M. There is a table on Agisoft's wiki with estimates of how much RAM you need to process a given number of photos and I don't think 32 GB is overkill at all, I would probably get a 64 GB laptop if anyone made 16 GB SODIMMs. If you need to save a little money I would probably opt for a slightly slower processor before decreasing the amount of RAM.

In between I got to know from the university that I cannot get either Sager, Lenovo or anything else than Fujitsu.

Ah the joys of single source contracts. Some places will allow you to buy from other sources if you can justify in writing why the approved vendor doesn't provide a product that meets your requirements. Doing that may not be worth the effort though.
Jed