Forum

Author Topic: Computer/Laptop suggestions  (Read 15291 times)

MichaelW

• View Profile
Computer/Laptop suggestions
« on: September 28, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »
Hi,

I am looking to invest in a work computer or laptop for myself that would ideally be primarily utilized for Agisoft. I am looking for some suggestions or suggested builds that will not break the bank but also would be fully capable of adding pieces at a later date or upgrading. Right now, I am shooting for something between $1500 and $2000 more or less. I know it isn't a lot but I am very much realizing that for me to pursue my professional and intellectual research goals, having a personal work computer would be an ideal situation for me.

Anyway, I look forward to your suggestions. I work in the field of cultural heritage conservation, documentation, and preservation in Israel. I am also an archaeologist by trade.

Thanks!

Michael

gulipin

• View Profile
Re: Computer/Laptop suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:02:11 AM »
Hello, I am using Acer v3-771 i7 3610qm 16gb ram and GF GT650M, it's enough for Photoscan but also make a huge problem with overheating extremely fast, so do not choose notebook.

tezen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »
Hello!
You will not get a big workstation with 64GB or more RAM for that price. Notebooks are much more expensive to upgrade. Maybe an I5 or I7-CPU with 16GB RAM and a good graphic-card (all in all ~1000$) will work for you and you have enough money left buying a small Notebook. So you can work on your projects on the Notebook while the big PC is calculating. If the PC has no connection to the internet (=no firewall&antivirus) it will calculate 3D-models a way faster.
Greets

MichaelW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »
No need for the 64 GBs of RAM at this point, but I would like to have the ability to upgrade to it when I have the finances. I might be able to push the cost up to closer to $2500 or perhaps even a little more. It all depends. In any case, I am doing fine with my Macbook Pro (9,1) with 8 GBs of RAM for now. I want to have a work computer, however, that will run Windows so I can process the models for my work in something like Rhino and or Sketchup.

Kjellis85

• Archaeological field supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Contact information at University of Tromsø
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:49:53 AM »
If the PC has no connection to the internet (=no firewall&antivirus) it will calculate 3D-models a way faster.

This is a bit of-topic, but I'll ask anyways; do you have any documentation to back this up? If so, how much gain are we talking about?

I do realize that a stripped back system would have more available resources, but won't PhotoScan just "take over" those resources anyways?

James

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
I asked this question a few months back and got some useful answers, although didn't ever buy it in the end so can't make a recommendation based on personal experience!

www.agisoft.ru/forum/index.php?topic=1109

MichaelW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »
Thank you, James. That is super helpful to me to see.

tezen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 10:23:17 AM »
@Kjellis85:
It depends on your AV/Firewall-Software which will slow down your system differently. Also you can change the security-settings inside windows to a low level and turn off unused processes. All in all you can increase the speed 10% (and more) I figured out with other 3D-Software.
Just try it for your own system!

kirk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 03:28:04 AM »
Hello!
 If the PC has no connection to the internet (=no firewall&antivirus) it will calculate 3D-models a way faster.
Greets

Is there any precise statistic/info  regarding that?  My antivirus proudly graphs of how little it takes of the cpu. Is it all bs?

tezen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »
@kirk:
Test for yourself - no Internet, FW&AV. I tested it ~2 years before on win7-systems with NortonInternetSecurity. Instead of more than 60 minutes it needed ~55 minutes to render 3D-scenes.
You can get a smaller speedboost by setting the priority higher (Taskmanager>processes>Rightclick on the software-process>priority normal to high - never set it to "realtime").
Btw: Read why AV-Software is snakeoil http://rookcifer.blogspot.de/2012/10/anti-virus-software-is-snake-oil.html

kirk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »
Thanks tezen.   Not a big difference  but  worth a try. I have never dared to run Windows without antivirus actually :)

Meez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 12:56:07 PM »
Me too, i need a laptop to get the first looks at all my data's at field and come across of this Alienware model from Dell.

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/alienware-17.aspx

Looks like very promising even a bit at expensive side. Any thought? :)

matteoponzio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 12:32:27 PM »
Hi there

Do you have any suggestions / considerations about a good combination of RAM, processor, graphic card for laptops? What about the Lenovo vs Sager hereunder? Also in consideration of how resistant they are ,as I need to use them in sheds by archeological excavations.

RAM will be at 32 GB

Lenovo W530

processor: i7-3630 or 3520 or 3740
grafic card: Nvidia K1000 or 2000

Sager NP8265-S

processor: i/-7400
grafic card: GEFORCE GTX 780M

Thank you for your help

mobilexcopter

• View Profile
    • mobileXcopter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »
Hello all,

I know what I would use in normal environment, but for a rough environments and not a bottomless budget I would probably go with something like Getac S400 or Panasonic Toughbook 52.

Anyone using something like that?

Regards,
Alex

jedfrechette

• Lidar Guys
    • View Profile
    • www.lidarguys.com
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 05:25:55 AM »
I was just looking at that Sager and it would probably be my first choice.

As for tough conditions, how hardened do your actually need your laptop to be? Unless you plan to have it out in the rain I've found a Pelican briefcase and a little common sense goes a long way. It will certainly buy you a much faster computer for the same price..
Jed