Forum

Author Topic: Attempting to merge manually aligned chunks  (Read 968 times)

Hamish

• View Profile
Attempting to merge manually aligned chunks
« on: December 16, 2023, 07:11:05 PM »
I’m not sure if this is a bug or if I’m trying to use metashape incorrectly

I have a model of a medieval effigy of a lady. It is broken into two parts, one stacked on top of the other and placed in a wall recess in a church. My aim is to reunite the head in the correct position.
I have duplicated my original model into two new chunks, then disabled the original model.
In each of the two new chunks I have carefully trimmed each model to the areas that I need.
Select “Show Aligned Chunks” on toolbar, then repositioned and reorientated the chunks using the transformation tools “Move object” and “Rotate Object” – “Scale Object” doesn’t need to be changed since both chunks are from the same source.
When I merge the chunks then deselect “Show Aligned Chunks” - I’m left with one chunk with its region on a different alignment and no merging having occurred.

I’m loosely following these instructions using a model rather than point cloud. https://agisoft.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000157701-manual-chunk-alignment-standard-edition-

Metashape 2.0.4 build 17434 (standard)
i7-13700k, 64GB Ram, RTX 3080 12GB (driver version 545.84)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 10:10:11 AM by Hamish »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to merge manually aligned chunks
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 02:06:56 PM »
Hello Hamish,

You need to apply all transformations to both chunks before merging them. I can suggest to apply Scale Object tool in the following way - slightly change scale and then (without even releasing the mouse button) return scale back to x1.00 value, repeat for the second chunk and perform the merging operation.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Hamish

• View Profile
Re: Attempting to merge manually aligned chunks
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 02:23:45 AM »
Thanks Alexey,

That seems to work, although the scale value should possibly be to three decimal points as I'm getting around ten steps between x1.00 & x1.01, I'm also curious why both chunks should need to have the scale transformation applied to successfully complete the merge - surely the process is to scale one chunk to the other not adjust the scale of both.

It would be helpful to be able to adjust the chunk transparency when manually aligning to see what is happening at all points of a joint.