Agisoft Metashape > General

What cameras/lenses are preferable for photoscan?

(1/15) > >>

kirk:
I tried with  8M cell phone camera and it turned into a mess mostly. Photos didn't match each other or not very good at least.    Same with cheap Canon pont-and-shot.   I tried other person photos of Nikon DSLR camera and it seems that they work better.

Does  it depend on camera or lenses at all or rather way of how pictures were taken?  Amount of noise?  Corner sharpness? Vignetting?  Aperture value?  Barrel distortion?    Maybe a specific camera brand?  I am going to buy a new camera but don't want DSLR actually.   I am looking for a kind of smaller mirrorless camera and would like to be sure it would suite photoscan tasks well.

chadfx:
If you shoot your objects carefully and in a well lit environment, you can use lower than DLSR cameras. There might be some limits on absolute resolution and quality, but that also depends on your needs. This post has an example from a $60 Canon P&S.

http://www.agisoft.ru/forum/index.php?topic=1411.msg8361#msg8361

ikercito:
Hey chadfx! Nice to see you around, that P&S array is going all over my head. Can we get some more info? I'm curious to see how you did it, and thinking myself of stepping in with 6 or 8 cheap Canon point and shoots. Any info on CHDK? The results you posted on the other thread are simply amazing. Of course it is a stationary object, but do you think it would work with a living person?

Kirk: For what I've learned until now (I'm a newbie), image sharpness and a high pixel count are two very important aspects, appart from noise free images (which i suppose has been the culprit in your mobile phone test) and proper lighting. One single camera is not going to cut it for moving objects, but with stationary objects you'll have better chances of getting a clean scan.

kirk:
My cell phone has pretty wide lens and  poor  corners sharpness + vignetting.  I guess it's the main reason since the noise is the same as on all P&S with tiny sensor.  The vignetting also looks like making a kind of geometry seam from those photos which the program was able to match successfully.

It's cool actually that the program can work just fine with cheap cameras but I still wonder what is priority factors.    They are all noisy although image sharpness may be pretty good if  lenses set not too wide.

As of multi camera setup there is a program  http://www.breezesys.com/MultiCamera/psr_index.htm
which should work with P&S. I am curious if anybody tried it.

One more thing that bother me regarding  p&S that every such camera I tried does only 4-5 shots then freezes for a minute.   Pretty annoying if you have to take a lot of shots. 
Somebody know a good  P&S  or maybe small mirror-less camera with more a less good shot-to-shot speed?

ikercito:
Check out www.dpreview.com for camera reviews. Most of them include shot to shot times. It will all depend on your budget. Did you use a fast card in the camera? That may be the reason for the freezes. However, if you take care of focusing carefully after each photo and standing steady there should be enough time between shots not to fill the buffer, the better the camera, the faster it will write to card and empty the buffer so no freezes will occur too (unless shooting in RAW)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version