Forum

Author Topic: UAV for Canon 5D  (Read 10281 times)

KarolBastardKiter

• View Profile
UAV for Canon 5D
« on: October 07, 2013, 07:25:53 PM »
Hello

I am interested in buying an esa/octocopter for 3D geology, what is the most appropriate UAV for the job if I use a Canon 5D camera?

Thanks in advance

JMR

• View Profile
Re: UAV for Canon 5D
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 10:16:53 PM »
I would encourage you to not use such a heavy camera... I think there is no good reason to put this beast on board of any drone.
The only reason could be its great video capabilities, but a if you are not a videographer you wont find any worse the cheaper and LIGHTER Panasonic hacked GH2 with the right lens. If you just want stills, what is likely your case, forget this camera and do a favour to yourself. Then you'll easily find dozens of nice multicopters and planes capable to provide over 15 mins of flight-time.
My choices would be:
Olympus EPM-2 + mzuiko 12-2.0, 17-1.8 or panaleica20-1.7 (Unbeatable IQ for the size, easy to trigger by wire)
Sony Nex7+ 16mm  (much higher resolution but not too many good lightweight lenses match that sensor)
RicohGR (great in all senses but fixed lens -that is not bad at all-)
SonyRx100 (cheap flexible option)

If you want further recommendations on multi-rotors please PM

Your beast+lens bundle is hardly to be under 1,2kg not to mention the money you put on risk. In case you are stuck to the canon, then I'd say Microdrones MD4-1000 is the most reliable drone in the civil market... its expensive too.

Don't ever fly over crowds, avoid built populated areas as much as possible, don't forget to check everything once again. 

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »
hello JMR,  I checked the microdrones... very nice drones.. they look pretty well built.. I was looking at the cinestar8 is not bad too, I can see here and there it is the most used with stunning results... maybe the price plays a role, lol..

anyway, I am curious, are octocopters better than quadcopters..? more stable maybe..?  I guess the Microdrones cost a lot because they can operate in rain, snow ....?

f/

JMR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »
Octos are slower in reactions due to their much bigger size; this doesn't mean more stability but more inertia. IMHO the most responsive and robust flight is achieved by quads with four or eight rotors. The strongest point of Microdrones aircrafts is simplicity and endurance. The propellers are huge (75cm) and the motors have been designed specifically for this drone. The flight is not agile and it looks heavy just because changes in rotors speed are not very fast to allow quick reactions against wind or at pilot input. But in exchange it offers unbeatable endurance and very usable lift power. Many people think the price is ridiculously high... I must agree it costs a lot, but the price starts making sense when you use it every day and feel you can trust this robot for years while others are crashing every day. A crash in this business costs a lot more than just the repair and the bill of materials. One single accident can cause your bankrupcy, the ruin of your professional prestige, not to mention casualties, judgement, or complaints.
BTW, the Cinestar8 is a good frame, but I'd say frame quality just one factor among many others.
Regards JMR

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:48:03 PM »
Hello JMR, thank you..  :)

well I see what you mean in terms of reliability.. most have all the wiring un-protected, and I always have had questions regarding the security (rain, dust, etc..) the Microdrone looks indeed pretty securely built.. I guess that has a price.. around 40$k  :P  8) although the payload weight is pretty low (around 1kg) so you can't obviously attach a canon markII D5 under it...

I have seen also that one (supposedly largely used by TV prods., http://www.mikrokopter.de/en/home but there too, no protections.. )

btw Microdrone is preparing a new beast, http://microdrones.com/company/media-relations/press-releases/microdrones-unveils-the-new-microdrone-md4-3000.php with a payload weight of 3kg..

regards
f/

mobilexcopter

• View Profile
    • mobileXcopter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 06:31:33 PM »
Hello all,

I agree with JMR in aspect of using a lighter camera/lens mainly because of the flight time which is an issue using multirotors. Well, can be an issue if using heavy cameras  :)

I have been using a Nikon D800 and a D5200, but am currently testing a Oly E-PL5, wich is a nice little bugger. Especially with 17mm f/1.8 lens. Had a Sony NEX, but had an issue with in-flight triggering as it only has a IR remote option... if you don't want to use servo or hack the camera. Am waiting for the new Sony full frame's which should be announced in several days.

Anyway, I know microdrone and mikrokopter products and am actually using mikrokopter electronics on my drones and haven't had an issue with it - yet  :) ( I use moisture protection and crash cages on all electronic components ). As for the wiring or electronic protection it basically depends on the frame you use - meaning, if you use MK and need one, you must make it or buy a kit or RTF package, that offers it. They are available, but ignored as everyone wants to lower the weight.

Microdrone offers you a great complete package and looking at the md4-3000 it sure is nice. 8) 

Best regards,
Alex

ARF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 12:44:05 PM »
Hi,

Mobiles copter  - the new sony a7r looks great. I'm not sure what lens will best suit aerial mapping.  There will be the zeiss 35mm but it might be better to get a wider angle.

mobilexcopter

• View Profile
    • mobileXcopter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »
Yes, they sure look interesting. The a7r and a7 also. Will have to wait until december when they start to ship them. I like the option of the wired remote on them.  :)

As for the lens I guess the 35 f/2.8 and the 55 f/1.8 might be usefull for the purpose. I use 17mm on the oly which makes out a 34mm euqivalent on full frame and I sometimes could use a more narrow lens. Depends on the purpose I guess.