Forum

Author Topic: Instance chunks to seperate files but load into one master Photoscan file?  (Read 5804 times)

Infinite

• View Profile
This Monday the UK had some very bad storms. Where I live we suffered allot of power cuts. 12 hours without power.

I have 4x master PC's processing 24/7, 7 days a week. Any kind of power surge our power outage can be very problematic if your PC crashes or resets during a save of a large Agisoft file.

I mostly set up large .psz scenes with on average 10-20x chunks in each, full body scans. 118x images in each chunk, built to 7 million polygon scans, with dense point cloud, masks and textures these can grow to be very large files. They start to get slower and slower during each save, the longer the save the more chance of a crash of PC reset during save, corrupting the file and damaging all chunks. This is a big problem.

I would like to propose a method to have a master .psz that references in individual .psz chunks. Each time Photoscan saves, it will save just that one chunk (named what ever the chunk is named) as a .psz. Instead of one giant .psz. That way if we have a crash or reset only that one chunk is damaged.

Any thoughts on this?

Triplegangers

• View Profile
    • Triplegangers
+1

Will also help when you need to access only one chunk and not have to wait for one big 2Gb file to load.
Also this will allow us to not be limited by number of chunks per one project file, and have 40-80 of them in it.

May be have an option to "Save changed chunks only"

Might be good to have a different extension for that master project file *.?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:44:07 PM by AlexanderT »

Triplegangers

• View Profile
    • Triplegangers
Just want to raise this one from the abyss of forgotten ideas. Alexey, do we have any chance this can be implemented?

Thanks

3DFranz

• View Profile
+1

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Hello,

We are planning to implement similar functionality, but at the moment we are working on different features for the next major update. So I can say that discussed feature should not be expected in the version 1.1, but the idea is not lost for sure.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Triplegangers

• View Profile
    • Triplegangers
Very cool, thank you Alexey

Infinite

• View Profile
Great. Interested to see what's in store for the next release.